Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Broadband

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unlimited Broadband

Aaaarrrggghh!
You still haven't confirmed if you are talking about bits per second or bytes per second!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kazbah
Grafter

Bytes and you know that, how many download clients do you know that refer to speed in bits per second?
scootie
Grafter

but if i set anything going after noon til midnight im lucky to reach 70kb/s

that as kB/s works out at half meg which tie's in with the speed cap on download sites at 8-10pm
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Kazbah
This is using rapidshare and i pay for a premium account and im getting speeds worse than a free user. I just dont see why i should have to leave my PC on all night to feel the benefit of paying for a premium account when with someone else i could have it at 700kb/s all day long. I can understand the limited speeds at peak times but for it to just sink at noon is unecessary.

So you have paid rapidshare for a premium account! Are you going to pay PN for a premium account too and move to the Pro package.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

No I didn't, but I suspected it.
The expected speeds quoted by Plusnet are Kbps which is bits per second; Bytes per second is KBps and you kept posting kbps.
So...
I've just noticed this
                                          2am to 12pm  12pm to 2pm  2pm to 4pm  4pm to 6pm  6pm to 8pm  8pm to 10pm  10pm to 11pm  11pm to 12am  12am to 2am
Download sites                     Line speed        1Mbps           1Mbps              512Kbps       256Kbps           256Kbps     256Kbps          512Kbps            Line speed
# Download sites & servers - Downloading files from certain websites = Rapidshare Clearly states that Radpishare users should still be able to receive 1mbps until 4pm, i don't get anywhere near this

Divide all those speeds by eight to compare with the bytes per second speeds you are quoting. It's performing pretty much as specified I suspect.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Certainly your 700KBps works out at 5600 Kbps, which seems a remarkable download throughput if your profile speed is 5764 as you say?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That was what made me uncertain. Far from having a reason to complain, it looked like his line is doing stunningly well.
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
This is using rapidshare and i pay for a premium account and im getting speeds worse than a free user. I just dont see why i should have to leave my PC on all night to feel the benefit of paying for a premium account when with someone else i could have it at 700kb/s all day long. I can understand the limited speeds at peak times but for it to just sink at noon is unecessary.

So you have paid rapidshare for a premium account! Are you going to pay PN for a premium account too and move to the Pro package.
SW.

If it wasn't capped to 15gb a month limit then yes i would but at such a small allowance its not worth it, for what little i pay for my premium rapidshare account i get a shocking load more than 15gb, i got that in 3 days before it went unlimited. So make Pro unlimited or a hell of a lot more than 15gb for the month and I'll have it. Bearing in mind, according to my useage stats i used 180gb a couple of months ago andhad had to leave PC on all night to do it. Pro is totally pointless
Quote from: jelv
That was what made me uncertain. Far from having a reason to complain, it looked like his line is doing stunningly well.

this bearing in mind i was getting 700kbps all day long with tiscali, it doesn't feel it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is that 180gb or 180GB in a month? Wink
I suggest you need to remember that Plusnet is a business, not a charity. Have you any idea how much it costs Plusnet to enable you to use 180GB in a month?
Kazbah
Grafter

No...How much??   They chose to offer unlimited services. Not my problem. One thing's for sure, i should never have left Tiscali. Im more than happy to stick to a FUP as opposed to have my dl speed so badly capped and then when i query it feel like im being spoken to like a kid. Rapidshare is a business also but they don't begrudge offering unlimited download ratio for a measly £7 for the month as opposed to +Nets Pro offering only 15GB for £19.99 and if it carries on the way it is it won't be winning any more awards, its starting to get bad reviews on the net, I personally will be departing asap.
adie:quote
godsell4
Rising Star

... also but they don't begrudge offering unlimited download ratio for a measly £7 for the month ...

Rapidshare offers unlimited downloads? I think not -->>  http://rapidshare.com/premium.html
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Kazbah
Grafter

For existing customers they do, click on NEWS. I'm a premium customer
Super Happy Hours for Premium users
July 3, 2009
To test parts of our new infrastructure, we have just disabled any traffic limits for premium users. This means unlimited downloading for all our premium customers. Have fun! Please notice that we may revoke this feature at any time without prior notice.
godsell4
Rising Star

If you are lucky it may last, the point thought is the service you signed up for was NOT unlimited downloads as you stated.
--
3Mb FTTC
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you read the post about unlimited linked in my signature?
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
If you are lucky it may last, the point thought is the service you signed up for was NOT unlimited downloads as you stated.

Not bothered if it doesn't even at 5GB a day its well worth the deal. In one way it is but you get slowed down through the day, peak times are totally understandable but less than half the speeds at noon is a bit much i think. Unfortunately not all of us can stay up till god knows what time at night just for speedy downloads, some of us have to get up early. It shouldn't be called an unlimited package then...misleading as i said before. I knew the speeds were capped through the day just didn't expect it to be that bad.
Yes jelv, i have read some of the post in your signature. I agree in a way that it is a good product my point is that to come from Tiscali where you get constant speeds to then be capped so highly, taking into account the drop from 700+KB/s to anything from 70-200KB/s is quite a big drop. I know they have a FUP but i never broke that once in a year and to be honest, wish i'd never tied myself into an 18month contract here now. I'm sceptical about 18month contracts with new suppliers anyway but at the time reviews were really good, i'm noticing they arent quite so good anymore and its a shame i missed out by a few measly days for a 12 monther instead. Still, suppose i'll just have to live with it now won't i but one thing is for sure, once i can leave, i will. Sorry +Net. And its not just the speeds, like i mentioned in an earlier post, i suffer with net lag at all times of day and night and surfing seems generally quite slow sometimes and my net drops at least once a day but i suppose my router/filter'll be to blame or something despite the fact that ive tried new filters and routers  Embarrassed