cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Broadband

Kazbah
Grafter

Unlimited Broadband

I must say that, after not being all that happy with my new broadband supply from the start and browsing through the forum to find im not alone im also now confused about the contract length. As far as I was aware I had (unfortunately) signed into an 18 month contract for my broadband but the forum is saying that if hardware isn't taken the contract is only in fact 12 month, well, now im confused, do I have a 12 or 18 month contract or what????  If it should be 12 months then i feel i have been mis-sold my contract. Also, i know there's no way anyone can stop me from requesting a MAC code but what would be the penalty for leaving early? I am very disappointed with the fact that, yes i was aware there was download restrictions but i was not made aware that during the times of 12 noon and midnight it would be practically unuseable. I pay for a private download subscription which I don't feel should be classed as P2P but think it is and Plusnet are making it virtually impossible to use, by this i mean i'm literally getting 10% of my speeds between noon and nidnight therefore I am at this stage very likely to take my service back to Tiscali as I feel very let down and know for a fact that Tiscali's unlimited broadband is in fact very much unlimited AND unrestricted.
29 REPLIES 29
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unlimited Broadband

Contracts are only 12 months for existing users who change to Unlimited or Value.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi there,
As Jelv has mentioned, the 12 month contracts are only available for existing customers.  All new signups on Value and Unlimited carry an 18 month contract.
As you say - You're perfectly within your rights to request your MAC Key, but if you do so before your contract has completed you would be expected to buy out the remainder of your contract.
So I can try and find out if your speeds are not working as they should be, could you tell me what sort of speeds you are actually seeing?  Looking at the amount of usage you've done over the last 3 months, it doesn't appear that have been *that* bad?
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
As you say - You're perfectly within your rights to request your MAC Key, but if you do so before your contract has completed you would be expected to buy out the remainder of your contract.
So I can try and find out if your speeds are not working as they should be, could you tell me what sort of speeds you are actually seeing?  Looking at the amount of usage you've done over the last 3 months, it doesn't appear that have been *that* bad?

How much would that make it then, u have access to my account and would know better than me!
My midnight speeds are fine, if i set the downloads to start at midnight and go through until noon i get around the 700kb/s mark but if i set anything going after noon til midnight im lucky to reach 70kb/s. This is using rapidshare and i pay for a premium account and im getting speeds worse than a free user. I just dont see why i should have to leave my PC on all night to feel the benefit of paying for a premium account when with someone else i could have it at 700kb/s all day long. I can understand the limited speeds at peak times but for it to just sink at noon is unecessary. I havent really used it all that much lately and cant really understand why its saying my useage is as high as it is. And im also experiencing net drop, it just goes off for no reason and also quite a lot of net lag.  To be honest, this has gone on from the start and I know its not my modem as I have tried various others, I didn't do anything about it as i thought maybe it was just some kind of temporary thing but its ongoing and getting increasingly worse and don't really feel im receiving the service im paying for and definately not with my rapidshare premium account.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
We classify Rapidshare as a "downsite site" as per this link:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#unlimitedspeeds
You've got 13 months left on your contract at £15.99 per month after this months payment has been taken.
Kazbah
Grafter

I've just noticed this
                                          2am to 12pm  12pm to 2pm  2pm to 4pm  4pm to 6pm  6pm to 8pm  8pm to 10pm  10pm to 11pm  11pm to 12am  12am to 2am
Download sites                     Line speed        1Mbps           1Mbps              512Kbps       256Kbps           256Kbps     256Kbps         512Kbps           Line speed
# Download sites & servers - Downloading files from certain websites = Rapidshare Clearly states that Radpishare users should still be able to receive 1mbps until 4pm, i don't get anywhere near this
Kazbah
Grafter

So bearing the stats in mind then, why are my speeds so low??? This is one of the three issues i have atm and if i can get them sorted it'd be good
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

"Tiscali's unlimited broadband is in fact very much unlimited AND unrestricted"
Must have changed their stance then, i had 3 letters from them saying i was violating their FUP and i could have my MAC code if i wanted......RESULT!
Kazbah
Grafter

LOL, i was with them before joining Plusnet and never had any issues at all only reason i left was coz Plusnet offered what seemed to be a better deal at the time, I hadn't realised my speeds would be so slow. Maybe you download a lot more than me!!??!!
Anyway, can someone check if anythings wrong, i jus read a section about dropping connections maybe playing a part in slow speeds, mine drops at least once a day, usually mid to late afternoon and as far as the modem and pc is concerned its still active but i cant refresh/open web pages or anything just get page not displayed/timeout error etc, anything but the page i want. I turn the modem off then back on and its fine until the next day. Can it be looked into please.
adie:quote
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If you're having a dropping connection problem, your best bet initially is to ensure that you are connecting to your master socket via a filter.  Try using a different filter and make sure that all of you telephone sockets that are in use are filtered.
Or even better, try using the test socket behind the faceplate on your master socket.  If you can also try using a different router this will also help to eliminate your hardware being a potential cause.
scootie
Grafter

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ what do you get here. if your speeds are o.k on the test but not on the certain download ie raipshare, p2p then it looks like the below is more your problem.
it looks to me as when you signed up you didnt understand what the traffic mangment speeds was of the the diffrent types of traffic.
just remember there is NO FUP on PN unlimited package and hence the need to slow down non intreacative traffic at peak time to keep the intreacative stuff usable. ie you can  stream iplayer 24/7 on PN and not get told off like tiscali did to mrmarkus
dont know how much usage you do in amonth but maybe taking alook at the pro package everything at line speed on a 15gb usage cap
Kazbah
Grafter

My download speed claims 5764 and upload 365. If rapidshare was to blame why would it be 700+kbps right up til noon then drop immediately to below 150kbps??? I did know that the speeds were capped at peak times but i didn't expect it to take nearly 2 hours to get something that should only take 15-20 mins at regular speeds. According to the chart i should be able to get 1mbps so why cant i get that either? A 15gb cap would be completely useless to me, im not a heavy downloader but i got 5gb a day with rapidshare until us premium users got unlimited temporarily and although i dont always use 5gb a day 15gb a month simply would not be enough at all.
Kazbah
Grafter

Just set a rapidshare download going just so i can let you know what the speed does and it starts by going over 700kbps and then settles around the 200 mark and this will continue to drop throughout the course of the day. This is nowhere near the stated 1mbps on the expected speeds link for this time of day yet at 11am it would have easily got to and stayed at just over 700kbps so why am i being penalised? Its not my filter, router or rapidshare coz up til noon my speeds are fine so who is going to lift the noon to midnight restrictions which are obviously throttling my obviously struggling line. I dont even think i get line speed midnight to noon either coz if my download speed is coming in at 5764 surely i should be able to get more than 700kbps  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can I just check the units here please. You are saying your speed is settling around the 25k bytes per second level and the highest you can get is 90k bytes per second.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kazbah
Grafter

my highest, between midnight and noon is 700kbps, at noon it drops and goes right down to 70kbps as the day goes on