cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Broadband

DpOgburn
Dabbler

Unlimited Broadband

Hi, as a user of Netflix, Xbox live, and a pay for download service, do plusnet ever intend to introduce a true unlimited package. Sky and BT are now offering these but plusnet seem to be favouring fair usage. We now live in a world where your tv, pc, games consoles, phones and other un named devices use your internet connection in great demand. i myself have used 21 gig in 8 days. although i wish to support plusnet the way they have supported me in the past i feel i have no option to seek alternative broadband services due to plusnet not recognising the demand of the general user. i understand that this service would be more costly, but would expect it to stay at a rate competative with current offers from other companys.
9 REPLIES 9
knorrie

Re: Unlimited Broadband

Totally agree. There's been a discussion on this recently, check out this thread and vote in the poll:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102176.0.html
KenN
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As mentioned by my colleague Matt on the thread that contains the poll we are set for a product refresh in April, however its too early for us to commit to anything in particular.
We are recognising that usage is a hot topic at the moment and we'll continue to take everyone's feedback and comments on board.
Chances are there will be a revamp to our product lineup during the first half of this year, though it's too early to commit to anything in particular. We realise that usage is a big issue and will make sure we take everyone's feedback on board.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chartford
Grafter

I'd love to see Plusnet offer an unlimited fibre option and would happily pay extra for it.  I decided to join Plusnet instead of going with BT's unlimited Infinity option because Plusnet have a UK based call centre for customer support and could also offer me the Pro add on (plus they came top in the Which? survey) but I do really worry about going over my data limit.  I've been used to unlimited for some years on ADSL with O2 and psychologically it's turned out to be harder than I thought to watch what I am using.  I have to admit it's taking away some of my enjoyment of using Spotify and watching programmes on iPlayer and Netflix.  I realise I can pay £5 per 5GB if I go over limit, but even then it could work out mighty expensive, and unlimited would be a much better option.  Here's hoping!  Smiley
bigboso
Dabbler

BT's product isn't really unlimited though. I was on their "Option 3" and got several warning emails each month once I hit 100GB. And after 3 months, they limited my speed to 1 Mbps. I promptly signed up for Plus Net. Might not be unlimited, but at least, I can schedule heavy usage for between 12-8 am.
Sky's product is unlimited though.....sadly, they don't offer it at my exchange.
chartford
Grafter

Looks like that for now I will just have to get up early at 6 a.m. to do most of my downloading!  Grin    I'm an early to bed person so I don't stand a chance of keeping awake until midnight to download movies or updates for the computer.  
In a way, for me it's a psychological thing as well.  I have unlimited texts on my phone plan for example.  I know I would never get anywhere near a 600 text limit if one was imposed, but knowing it is unlimited just makes it more relaxing to use somehow.  I don't have to think about it. 
centralsimon
Grafter

I did a moderate amount of research on this and BT did have a limit of 300gb under their fair use. But this was removed. BT claimed only a small percentage of users go over 300gb. Most falling well under falling for the marketing ploy. PN would be mad as a mad person from mad land wearing the maddest cloth cap if they did not seriously raised their top package.
Ronski
Rising Star

@chartford

Just create a scheduled task to wake your PC at midnight.
Start your downloads going, and then put your PC to sleep.
It will then wake at midnight and continue the downloads
Job done.
Done it many a time myself  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows update can be configured to run at a specified time of day in the automatic update settings, so just set it for midnight.
BBC iPlayer can be scheduled to download between midnight and 06:59 as you can see at the bottom of this screen capture -

Simples!  Smiley
chartford
Grafter

I don't use Windows, but will take a look at the iPlayer auto download - thanks!  Although having said that, it's more of a "I've got a spare hour so what shall I watch" and picking up the iPad and watching it, rather than downloading it for later.  Sadly I can't do that with Netflix though.  But I have been downloading all the Spotify tracks I often listen to, for offline use, so they don't use any more allowance when I listen to them again.  But I have much of my music stored in iTunes in the Cloud too on Apple's servers, so again that eats the allowance, as does my use of Photostream - I take a lot of photos.  Then you can add on all the syncing with Dropbox and my video Skype language lessons. Working from home, there are large files being sent and received too.  All these things do eat away at it, and were things I hadn't really thought about when I signed up for the limited package.
Ironically, Sky contacted me yesterday to offer me their unlimited 40 Mbps fibre connection, no traffic management, for £20 a month with free line rental for a year.  Looks like they are starting to take orders now from current Sky customers.  I'm unsure about Sky because I wouldn't want to be locked into their satellite television forever, and in any event I understand it would be difficult in the future to take my landline away from them - I may have downtime.  But there are obviously going to be more unlimited deals around in the future, so fingers crossed Plusnet come up with something soon as otherwise I may end up having to buy myself out of the contract and go elsewhere, which would be very sad, but my mistake so I don't blame Plusnet.
Other than the lack of an unlimited option I have to say I've been very pleased with Plusnet's service so far.  Everyone is very helpful, especially on these forums.  And the online control panels are excellent.