cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Broadband - Free Router - Terminating Contract

Nocturne
Grafter

Unlimited Broadband - Free Router - Terminating Contract

Hope this is the right place to post if not my apologies.
I've been with PN for many years and believe I am on a one month contract.
I phoned and asked to be moved on to the Broadband Unlimited Tariff at £9.99 a month starting in a couple of days.
I'm tempted by the free Router since I will just have to pay the P&P but would appreciate a bit of advice.
Is my understanding of the following correct.
1....I would prefer staying on a one month contract but understand this is a 12 month contract irrespective of my taking the router or not.
2....If I terminate the arrangement before the end of the 12 months I was advised I would have to pay the balance of the 12 months owing.
Would I also have to pay the full cost of the Router.
3....In order to leave this Tariff and not pay any outstanding balance will it be necessary to cancel on an anniversary of 'signing up' or after the first 12 months can I terminate at any time without incurring additional cost.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Unlimited Broadband - Free Router - Terminating Contract

You can stay on the 10 day contract but it would cost £2.50 per month more
If you take the router then there is a 12 month tie in - leave before the 12 months and you get charged for the router (£40)
If you take the £9.99 route then the cancellation charges are listed here http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html as are all the other optional prices
I don't understand the last question
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Personally I would NOT take the router, better are to be had like a HH2/3 for little more than the £5 it costs you for this one. Then you could stick on the non-contract version for £2-50 extra.
Nocturne
Grafter

Thank you for the replies.
If you take the router then there is a 12 month tie in - leave before the 12 months and you get charged for the router (£40)

I'll stay with the £9.99 option which ties me in for 12 months and think further on the Router but may well follow Hairy Bikers advice and forgo it.
The last question I was trying to ask is what happens in say 18 months if I decide to terminate the contract.
My concern was that I may have to pay the balance of that 12 month period ie 6 months.
In other words did the contract last for 12 months followed by another 12 month contract.
To avoid incurring penalties, cancellation on an anniversary of entering in to the contract could then have been appropriate.
From the page linked to I assume that after the first 12 months some nominal notice would be required without incurring penalty charges.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No
Once the 12 month tie in is finished you revert to a 10 day contact
OFCOM outlawed rolling 12 month contacts a year or so ago
Nocturne
Grafter

Resolved..........Thank You
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: Hairy
Personally I would NOT take the router, better are to be had like a HH2/3 for little more than the £5 it costs you for this one. Then you could stick on the non-contract version for £2-50 extra.

Exactly what I would recommend. I picked up a brand new TP-Link router with a dongle for £15 delivered.
£40 for a reliable but fairly basic router that Plusnet provide is a bit over the top.
HTeeBee
Grafter

Sadly, as I discovered the other day, you can't order a fibre product without the router (even though I already have a much better Draytek). The online ordering web form is badly coded in that it lets you deselect the router option but then gets stuck in a loop when trying to continue the order process. I spoke to PN online chat and they said the only way the order would work was to select the router and that I had to have it. I was a bit miffed at having to pay £5.99 p&p for something I don't want or need.
jim:quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you do a quick search/look on THIS subforum you will find that there are LOTS of us who find the 582 to be a less than adequate router wifi wise.
I picked up a HH2 of freecycle (brand new still wrapped up) and used it pre-fibre (if you have a VOIP service you can configure it to do that as well just add a HH phone), now use a Netgear N300 after having 2 PN "free" routers. If I could have gotten a HH3 then I would probably have used that instead, several people do.