cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited, Any advantages for me?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Unlimited, Any advantages for me?

Currently on the old premier option 1 with 16 hours off peak. With my current package at what point would Plus Net contact me about my off peak usage under the fair usage policy?
I sometimes download well in excess of 150Gb off peak and have not yet ben contacted.
If I was to change how do I opt to keep my existing static IP? This would be vital.
How much if any grace period would I get to switch back to my old package with the existing rolling contract?
I am thinking of changing because my current peak time allowance is not enough.
16 REPLIES 16
Mand
Grafter

Re: Unlimited, Any advantages for me?

Hi there,
We don't have a set limit on off-peak usage on either Premier or the BBYW products. We'd only contact you if your usage was impacting other customers.
Moving to Unlimited would automatically keep your current static IP.
Should you find the Unlimited product unsuitable we could move you back inside the first month.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thank you for the response. I have now ordered the upgrade. Just one more question, If I am now signing up for 12 months, do I get the free wireless router?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

No you'd need to be 18 months for that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

Have been a Plus Net custommer at over £20/month for more than 5 years, I have never received any hardware from Plus Net, not so much as a usb modem. Surely I could get a free wireless router on a 12 month contract at this stage?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

get one while on the old scheme for just £6.99 then move over, it will still cost £6.99 P&P on the new scheme as well Grin Grin Grin
Appoloin
Dabbler

pierre_pierre,  How? 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PN Jameseh
atbs1
Grafter

Hi Sean,
Please let me know how you get on with this product. Personally I don't like the traffic shaping that's applied and I will be very interested in your download experiences. Keep us all posted please.
seanbranagh
Grafter

My peak time speeds on some sites have been a disaster for a while now anyway as discussed in another post. Can't get any worse.
tywyn
Grafter

I'm also mulling over what to do,  I'm currently on BBYW 2 and considering moving to the Unlimited, but I'm definitely switching to the evening and weekends phone package as it's more competitive than what I currently have.
As long as the surfing, gaming and streaming are fine in on-peak hours I'd be happy to switch. I can live with a 1Mb download speed on a 200mb file for something like a patch, anything larger I would currently wait until off-peak anyway. 
If it was any other company I probably wouldn't commit myself to a 12 month contract, but as I've been with PN since Nov 2003 and the service and support has generally been very good, I'm going for a 12 month contract.
I currently use only about 8-10GB of my on -peak allowance and about 30gb off-peak so I'm not sure if Unlimited would be worth it for me, but I will be using http://tvcatchup.com/ a lot more soon, as it will have some channels I don't have. and as it uses about 340MB an hour I don't know if BBYW 2 will be enough.
If I took a 12 month contract on BBYW 2 and found that the on-peak wasn't enough could I then change to an Unlimited 12 month contract?
atbs1
Grafter

@tywyn, you'd be better off twith Pro, given your download gigs
scootie
Grafter

All i can say is my usage of  the traffic which is rate limited during peak times hasnt changed much from when i was on bbyw3 as i use to leave the rate limited stuff till midnight and still do on unlimited to a certain degree due to speed caps
On unlimited peak time mostly is streaming ect (loads of it) i use tvcathup.com in my bedroom as i cant get a decent freeview signal. couldnt of done that on bbyw3.(cant wait for the desktop player of catchup.com)
I also dont have to think about gettin off my xbox at about 1am-2am to make sure my 2500kbps profile line has time to down load all the off peak files as now i can run unimportant downloads till about 2pm when rate limits start gettin serious.
and uploads are not capped at all. which is useful if you need to keep a ratio on private torrents. i had trouble keeping my rights on the private torrent site to download on bbyw3 but unlimited i have uploaded 3 times more than what i have downloaded Smiley  . i have got max prem on my line(double upload) and bby3 use to have up caps which use to anoy me
An old BBYW3 user gives the thumbs up to unlimited
lets hope PN's network dosent crumble with unlimited use
tywyn
Grafter

@ SGTE  - Well the Pro doesn't have much more on-peak usage than I currently have, it's usage limits I'm more concerned with on-peak rather than the higher speeds.  I can wait until off-peak for large downloads., so perhaps Unlimited would be more suitable.

@ Asbo - It's because of TV catchup  and other other streams that I'm thinking of switching, without these I could easily manage on BBYW2.
When the desktop player is at release 4, TVCatchup will be like a freeview PVR online, with pause/rewind live TV, recording etc so I'll be using it quite a bit more.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I received the email to say that my package has just changed to unlimited. The email states that I am on an 18 month contract?? I have raised a ticket. My peer to peer download speed is also really struggling to get anywhere close to line speed. It is now 1am! It was running at full line speed (230Kb/s) from midnight until I received the email.