Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown internet drop out on new technicolor TG582n

mattb26
Dabbler

Re: Unknown internet drop out on new technicolor TG582n

Ok, so back to the thread.
Wireless connection dropped again this evening across all wireless devices. As instructed on the phone before, I called in to report the fault. I also connected via ethernet.
The plusnet techcy lady confirmed that my connection to the net had not dropped out. As always I'd also looked in settings and the router said it had not lost connection. The conversation went onto changing wireless channels. I said I had changed to 4, as I'd used 1, 6, and 11. I'd chosen 4 as the local routers that inSSIDer had picked up all used 1, 6, or 11. She said that they were the best channels to use, even if another router was also using it.
She asked about thickness of wall etc, but the old plusnet router never had this problem. Then she suggested wireless extenders that plug into the wall. Again I think they are not needed as the old router never lost signal and the new one works all around the house.
I'm just curious to find out why the wireless signal drops for no reason at all?  Undecided
hhhmmmm............
Matt
Rik13
Grafter

Is it the wireless signal that's the problem? I got the feeling it is not. When I had the 582n router set up I used to loose the connection on all devices connected like you, and it often said the signal strength was excellent or very good, if I checked the network properties it said I was still connected. My old  router maintains a connection all over the house apart from one room, but it reconnects it's self as soon as you moved back into range , with the 582n you had to restart it or restart the affected computers to get back on line.
mattb26
Dabbler

Thats exactly it. Connection drops, but everything shows full or near full wireless connection.
I'm starting to think its a bit of a duff router!
Rik13
Grafter

I came to the same conclusion, it's now in the drawer upstairs .
mattb26
Dabbler

My one will soon be off to the recycle  gods. 
Netgear DGN2200 ordered off eBay, £20. Should of done that in the first place.
Matt  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
We have a new firmware version available for the TG582n (ADSL only, not fibre) that we would like customers such as yourselves that have experienced problems with wireless connectivity whilst using that particular router.
Please let me know if you'd like to give this a try.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lukechen89
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
I would like to try this and have sent u a PM
thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi I got your PM thanks, I'll get the details over to you ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mattb26
Dabbler

To late, duff router with postman pat on way back to you.
dags
Dabbler

This sounds similar to a problem I've been experiencing: dropped WiFi connections. I normally access the Internet (FTTC) from my desktop, which has an ethernet connection. However, my wife connects from her laptop via WiFi. She's been having quite a few "limited access" problems recently (since we switched to FTTC and the Technicolor router, which I suspect is the cause). Clicking the PlusNet connection in the notification area, disconnecting, then reconnecting usually solved the problem temporarily. However, this morning the WiFi connection went completely. I tried connecting using my netbook but had the same "no connection" message.
When I logged onto the router on my desktop, I saw that my wife's computer was "inactive" (i.e., no connection). However, the WiFi signal strength, according to the Windows 7 notification on the laptop and netbook was "excellent". Distance didn't make any difference: I tried connecting from the laptop in the same room as the router and elsewhere in the house, but it didn't make any difference.
Also, I installed Metageek's Inssider software. It showed that the RSSI was -56 (now -70: the signal appears to fluctuate between -56 and -70, much more than any of the other routers identified by Inssider). The router is on Channel 6 by default. There is one other router in the area on Channels 6 (+ 10). The rest are on 1 or 11.
dags
Dabbler

Apologies. I've realized that the complete loss of WiFi connection this morning (as distinct from the "limited Internet access" my wife's laptop has experienced frequently) followed a change I made in the router (582n) settings from "new stations are allowed (automatically)" to "new stations are allowed (by registration)". I assumed that, since all of the devices on the WLAN were marked on the router's set-up pages as "allowed on WLAN", this filtering would happen without further ado. It seems not.
However, I still don't know how to get the router to either "allow new stations by registration" or "not allow new stations". The router's help pages say one needs to instruct it to search for new wireless devices. However, it then says (under "To search for wireless devices") : go to Devices, In the Pick a task list, click Search for wireless devices. Unfortunately, there is no "Search for wireless devices" in my Pick a task list under Devices. Also, I couldn't find anything in the Help pages explaining the effect of enabling/disabling WPS.
ATRMAN

I know this is an old post but some may find my fix useful.

I have fixed the Technicolour router drop out by using the Wifi scanner mentioned above to see what different devices were transmitting on.

The Wifi printer was on Channel 6 and SO WAS the Router. I changed the Router Channel and left the printer on channel 6. They were close together but in different rooms. I am assuming this was the cause as its not happened since!