cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown internet drop out on new technicolor TG582n

mattb26
Dabbler

Unknown internet drop out on new technicolor TG582n

Hi, I recently upgraded to the TG582n. Mainly because it had the 'n' wireless signal. Although in the week that I have had it, the internet connection has dropped out on several occasions.
On each occasion any wireless device says it is connected but unable to gain access to the internet. Checked the lights on the router, all green happily blinking away. I dug a little deeper and checked the settings in the router, again that confirmed all was ok. But noting would connect to the net.
I have checked and changed the channel that the router was using. I only have two other routers nearby in neighbors houses, they are very weak signals and both on channel 1, I have switched to channel 11. 
Switching the router off and on will cure the problem, only for it to happen again.
I spoke to a plusnet techy yesterday, but as the router was working properly he could not diagnose at that time. The connection dropped again this morning, but in the time it took to call in, the router reconnected to the net. This time without being switched off and on. 
Sorry for waffling on a bit. My old bog standard plusnet router never really had any problems, however that is already in the recycling.... doh.
Thanks in advance
Matt
26 REPLIES 26
mattb26
Dabbler

Re: Unknown internet drop out on new technicolor TG582n

**bump**
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Changing the wireless channel was a good idea, were you previously aware of the neighbouring routers or have you tried using inSIIDer? (as that will give you a more detailed view) http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
If you have then it would be a good idea to try a factory reset. Whilst holding a cocktail stick/pencil etc in the reset hole, watch for the lights going out then beginning to flash, best thing to do after that is leave it idle for 10/15 minutes before trying again.
PS no need to bump threads, I was replying when you did that Wink
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mattb26
Dabbler

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
As for the other routers, I was aware of them and their channels. I used an app on my HTC. However I have just downloaded inSSIDer. It has picked up a few more routers around. Although none on my channel ATM.
As for the factory reset, I tried that the other day. But the connection has still dropped out temporarily.
I'll keep tabs on it.
Sorry for the *bump*
Matt
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, let us know how you get on.  Do any of your devices report anything particular in the error messages when they fail to connect to the router?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mattb26
Dabbler

The phones just report connection lost, although the wifi strength symbol still displayed.
Chrome reports that DNS lookup has failed.
However all lights on router are green and flashing. Router settings show no loss of connection.
Its a little puzzling.
Rik13
Grafter

I had exactly the same problem And tried all the things you did including updating the firmware.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, thanks for replying back.
One thing I'm not sure about from what you've posted is how far are your devices away from the router when trying to connect?
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mattb26
Dabbler

1st time sat in living room, 6m max, can see the router from where I'm sat.
2nd and 3rd time in kitchen, even closer.
This morning, sat in kitchen. Connection to internet drops out. Windows network centre shows connection to internet as do phones etc. Get DNS lookup error message. However it re-connects without being switched off and on.
Therefore I don't think distance has anything to do with the problem.
Matt
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK thanks for clarifying that, sounds obvious I know but we just needed to make sure we cover that base as I'm sure you can guess that distance is a fundamental factor in wireless problems.
As the next step we'd just need you to try and log into the router via ether net when the problem ocurrs: http://192.168.1.254
I'm guessing the easiest way would be to connect up to one of the computers via enter the address in your browsers address bar, try to connect using your phone then hit refresh on your browser.
We won't keep stringing you along with a lot of steps to try but we're just trying to see if there might be an issue with the router itself.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
andybrody

Quote from: Rik13
I had exactly the same problem And tried all the things you did including updating the firmware.

Hi can you tell me what version of firmware you have updated to and where you downloaded it from i have a problem that may be cured with new firmware
and want to try it
Cheers Wink
Andy
mattb26
Dabbler

Ok, well over 48 hours since the last unexplained outage!  Smiley
Hopefully just teething troubles with the new router?
Rik13
Grafter

Quote from: andybrody
Quote from: Rik13

Hi can you tell me what version of firmware you have updated to and where you downloaded it from i have a problem that may be cured with new firmware
and want to try it
Cheers Wink
Andy

Got it from here http://www.mattturner.plus.com/PN%20TG582n%20R10.2.2.9%20DEMO%202012%2008%2010%201353.bin
andybrody

Thanks for that do you know itf it cures the NTFS problem with the usb socket
Cheers
Andy
adie:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'm afraid we don't have any firmware that will allow NTFS drives to be used via the USB socket on the Technicolor routers - as per Matt Turner's post here it'd need licensing on a per-unit basis which would end up costing an awful lot. There's a bit more detail in that thread too that I hope helps explain.
jim:green tag fixed mod:end