Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy experience upgrading

caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unhappy experience upgrading

I've been a dial-up customer with F9 since 2004, having spent several years prior to that with free-online. Last Saturday, I initiated what I was expecting would be a 'relatively' simple upgrade order process, to the broadband value package. But it seems to be one problem after another, which doesn't inspire confidence.
After nearly 18 hours, my initial help assistant question (sent during the ordering process) seeking advice as to how to proceed further had still not received any reply. Only a supplementary question which I had raised 20 mins later, seeking reassurance that I would keep my webspace allocation (as an existing Plusnet customer) was replied to - with an answer telling me that I'd no longer be able to have the webspace.
As I was left a bit unhappy and confused, I telephoned Plusnet's support team early on Sunday morning. The Plusnet agent I spoke to proved to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He apologised for the lack of any reply to my initial question, and supplied me with the answers that I was seeking, as well as contradicting the (wrong) answer that was then Plusnet's only contribution to my help assistant ordering question. My faith in F9 was restored!
On Monday, my question was to receive a further two reassuring responses from Plusnet stating that " We have now placed a provide order on your line. Your broadband will be enabled on: 22/06/2009" and "This is to confirm your order is progressing fine. It is due for completion on: 22-06-09" At last, I was beginning to relax. I had made my intentions clear that I was wanting to take advantage of the free wireless hardware, both in my help assistant question, and in my telephone conversation (when I was told that I'd probably receive the hardware on or around Thursday). I also confirmed in writing that I was aware of the 18 month minimum contract conditions.
Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, as I still hadn't received my hardware, or any notification from Plusnet about it having being sent, I thought it sensible to telephone Plusnet support yet again, to enquire as to whether the hardware had in fact actually been sent. I didn't fully understand the explanation, but the agent I spoke to inferred that there was some sort of glitch in my order process, due to my upgrading, rather than commencing a completely new value broadband account. It was confirmed that my hardware had NOT actually been posted, and (as my order is due for completion on 22-06-09) the agent promised to arrange to get my hardware posted as a matter of urgency - hopefully so that I will receive it by Monday.
Again, I was able to relax a little - or so I thought! An hour after making my phone call yesterday, I logged into my Plusnet Member Centre, to see if anything might have changed following the phone call. At last, I was greeted with a welcome page which included a reassuring message stating "Broadband Awaiting Activation" and supplied a link to the "Order Tracker" where I can view my order progress. However, my broadband order tracker clearly identifies the product 'which I have ordered' as:
Product: Force9 Broadband Your Way Option 1 (Monthly Contract)
(there's also a link on the page inviting me to change my - already sent?- hardware delivery address)
As something definitely appears to be awry, I supplemented my question (at 5 pm yesterday) asking exactly what the problem is? Nearly another 18 hours have passed now, and yet again I've received no response from Plusnet support with regards to what I thought was an urgent question. Forgive the pun, but I want broadband "my way" (i.e. the way that I ordered it). Surely it ought not to be such an ordeal to upgrade from dial-up to value broadband? I have to say, my experience has left me feeling unhappy and perplexed. I no longer know for certain if my 'value broadband' order will in fact be completed on Monday in keeping with what I've been informed, or whether I can rest easy in the knowledge that my hardware has now been sent?
Getting a bit fed up of this ordeal to be honest - and I'd sincerely appreciate any additional help or clarification from Plusnet staff in the community forums. Thanks!
(whilst I was in the process of attempting to post this message earlier  - I have now just received (at 10 am) a response to my help assistant question stating that everything is in progress with regards to my order, and I will be upgraded to F9 Value package on Monday. But no explanation is given as to why my order is (still) listed as a Broadband Your Way Option 1 (Monthly Contract), and there is no confirmation as to whether my hardware has now been sent?  Rather than waiting another 18 hrs with a repeated question - I've therefore decided to still post this message in the forums in case it relates to other user's similar unhappy experience, or forewarns about the possibility of losing webspace allocation entitlements?)
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Unhappy experience upgrading

Hiya,
Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble trying to upgrade from dialup.
I'll be honest, the dial -> broadband procedure on the new products is not ideal.  There's no direct path from dialup to Value, so the upgrade has to initially be done to a Broadband Your Way product, afterwhich it is upgraded to the Value product when the order has completed.
Looking into your router, it was ordered about 24 hours ago and I suspect it will be sent out tonight so should arrive either tomorrow or on Monday.
I'm sorry it's been quite such a chore, but it does look like it's just about done and everything should be fine for Monday.
caulbox
Rising Star

Many thanks indeed, James!
That's an understandable explanation which (I hope I won't regret saying this) leaves me with a lot more peace of mind. Just one thing more - Should the hardware not arrive by Monday, will I still have dial-up access (my dial-up account is geared towards the 27th of the month, and I'm happy to let it run it's course if it doesn't conflict).
Cheers....and thanks again for such a speedy very helpful reply!
Russ
James
Grafter

Hi Russ,
You should still be able to use your dialup account, but I'd certainly expect the router to turn up by Monday.
caulbox
Rising Star

Great!
My faith in F9 is once more restored!
caulbox
Rising Star

....you still around, James?

I got the router ok (thanks) but I'm still a bit perplexed as to what exactly is happening? My order process question ticket had been put on hold with the comment that:

I am placing this ticket back on hold until Monday when we will check your order is complete.
The next action on your Help Assistant Question is due on Monday 22nd June at 9:00am. This Question will remain open with the BOT - DSL Provisioning until this time.
.....but the only response to the ticket (at 9.09 am) is an automated script pool response stating:

We would like to inform you that your Help Assistant Question [ 29086740 ] has now been returned to the BOT - DSL Provisioning pool. A member of our Support Team will investigate your issue as soon as possible.

I'm hoping that the release of the ticket from holding, has not put me back on an 18 hour wait cycle? To be honest, I was hoping that I might receive an email, or further comment in the ticket at 9.00am today telling me that my broadband service was now ready to use?

My order tracker continues to remain stagnant at stage 3 of the order process (We are now checking if broadband is available where you live.) I'd sincerely appreciate some further time-scale clarification if pos.

Cheers,
Russ
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The ticket has come off hold as it needs one of the provisioning team to manually finish your upgrade to broadband. They'll pick this up today and you should be online shortly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've now activated your account for you, it's all ready to use. Let me know if you've got any questions.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
caulbox
Rising Star

Thanks for your efforts, Chris

Unfortunately, as I suspected something is definitely VERY AMISS with your dial-up - value upgrade procedure.

I was about to reply to your first message (minutes later) with a quick thanks, when my dial-up connection was suddenly severed. What is more, any subsequent attempts to login thereafter (with the dial-up connection) resulted in Error 691 messages (invalid username and password) - which denied me any chance of receiving the contact from Plusnet (sent a few minutes later at 10.32) telling me my broadband was then active. However, because of the dial-up authentication issues, I guessed that something had probably changed - so I telephoned your support team and received confirmation that my broadband was then active.

Although I'm totally new to broadband, setting up the hardware couldn't have gone smoother. BUT I couldn't connect to the internet (authentication problems again - and a red flashing light). And yes, I was using the full broadband username and correct password. It seemed more than coincidence, so I phoned support yet again to enquire if I might have missed something in the hardware setup, or whether something had indeed gone wrong with my username/password details? After a couple of lengthy calls I got nowhere (though your agent was trying his best to help). My password was changed to a temporary new one - alas to no avail. Because of my earlier experience(s), throughout our shared efforts, I'd repeatedly asked your agent if a glitch at 'your end' could account for the authentication problems.Eventually your agent (who was understandably busy) left me to keep trying, and said he'd ring back later, to see how I was getting on.

To be honest, I wasn't optimistic - but as all this stuff's new to me - I was prepared to persevere clutching at straws. When I'd eventually had enough, yet again I telephoned your support team. This time however, your agent immediately diagnosed what the problem was down to, and told me that things would need re-setting at your end - so that I can (hopefully) connect to broadband tomorrow morning. I've also been supplied with a temporary 24 hr dial-up number, so I'm back with net access now!  Thank you!....

....but something urgently needs sorting with Plusnet's upgrade procedure.

It's certainly been demanding, but hopefully (dare I say it) there'll be a happy ending for me tomorrow.....
Russ
caulbox
Rising Star

...just to round off on a positive note
The problem I was experiencing had something to do with being "provisioned on wrong realm". I needed to wait till noon today before BT sorted out the problem - but then I was able to connect to broadband without any problems whatsoever! It's been a tedious journey in places - but well worth the wait! I'm now just beginning to explore a fascinating whole new world.
As an added bonus, suddenly it 'feels' like I've got a completely new pc. My system has never been so responsive! I knew that Zone Alarm didn't get on with my dial-up connection and drivers - but the difference is truly astonishing!
A very happy ending indeed!