Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpectedly high broadband usage figures

amihunt
Hooked

Unexpectedly high broadband usage figures

Hello,

Over the last 6 months our broadband usage has gone skyhigh. When I've looked at the usage log it's internet use typically during the day. The amounts are anything from 4-8 GB in one go and there are perhaps 2 or 3 a week. Consequently, my monthly broadband bill is getting silly (we're on the 10GB/month allowance).

We rather stupidly (or rather, unknowlingly) installed Windows 10 about 6 or 7 months ago. Could it be downloads from this? Is there any way to find out for definite what it is that's causing these massive spikes and also anyway to manage/stop the downloads?

Many thanks for any help

Amelia 

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Unexpectedly high broadband usage figures

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  I would not suggest that you "stupidly" installed Windows 10 - one might argue that it was a sensible decision.  In a number of ways it is much better for non-techie users ... automatic updates are just that and largely transparent ... downloading and applying the updates, reboots and leaving you exactly as you were when you left the machine previously.

However these updates are quite big and if you have left the update settings as default, you might be serving others with the updates as well...

Check out Win10 update settings...

• Start
  • Settings cog
  • Update & security
  • Windows update
  • Advanced options
  • Choose how updates are delivered
  • Updates from more than one place - ON
  • PCs on my local network

The last but one is useful if you have more than one Win10 PC at home - if you have not, turn the option off.  It is on by default.

For the last option, the default setting is "...and PCs on the Internet" - which means you are effectively acting as a fileserver!!!

If you insist on calling yourself "stupid" then you ought to apply that to still being on a metered service!! Shocked

You might want to consider contacting COTS (aka retentions / I want to leave) and ask them what they can offer you to re-contract?  When I switched from 10G/mth to unlimited, the unlimited deal was £1 a month LESS that I was paying on 10Gb ... before I considered the cost of "over usage".

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amihunt
Hooked

Thanks Townman,

We've checked the Win10 settings and the final option you detail below is turned off already. It would be good to know what's causing the spikes if it's not Windows 10 updates. Any thoughts on how to get to the bottom of this?

I'll definitely take your advice and look to switch to unlimited tariff pronto.

Best wishes

Amelia 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Amelia,

I did not suggest that it was not Win10 updates - there is every chance that it was.  The guidance above was to ensure that it is no worse than it needs to be!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amihunt
Hooked

Ah OK - gotcha. So can you advise what's the sort of usage (GB) we can expect with Windows 10 updates? So far the spikes I'm seeing don't seem to match to dates when we've had Windows 10 updates (that we know of), but we thought that Windows 10 was the likely culprit.

Many thanks

Amelia

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I believe you can specify Win10 to update overnight - if I remember downloads done then don't count towards usage. However, you do need to leave your PC on with power saving turned off.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

See https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&q=how+big+are+windows+10+updates&oq=how+big+are+Win&...

There are varying guesses at the size - the consensus is that they are big but probably less than 4GB.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bmc wrote:

I believe you can specify Win10 to update overnight - if I remember downloads done then don't count towards usage. However, you do need to leave your PC on with power saving turned off.

Brian

You can tell window when to apply updates, but not when to down-load them.

However you've prompted me to go look at some not all too obvious / well known settings...

• Start
  • Settings cog
  • Network & Internet
  • Change connections properties
  • Metered connection - ON

Back under Windows Updates...

Capture Update metered.JPG

amihunt
Hooked

Thanks bmc - that's useful to know if we have any other downloads which we can specify to run overnight.

amihunt
Hooked

Thanks Townman - will try switching this on while I sort out my contract with plusnet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You can tell Windows when to APPLY the updates, but not when to DOWNLOAD them.