Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Upstream Uncap

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Unexpected Upstream Uncap

Just happened to be looking at my DSL stats on the router (as you do!) and noticed that my upstream seems to have been unexpectedly uncapped Huh
From the DSL training history (attached) it happened in the early hours of 21 July.
Just wondered if any one else had noticed similar ?
TBH I'd been thinking about requesting it for a while but didn't want to lose my fixed 6db Downstream Fastpath profile that Ben managed to set for me some time ago.
As long as it doesn't affect my voip ( the reason for the fixed profile ), which it doesn't seem to have done so far, then I'll be a happy bunny Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Unexpected Upstream Uncap

there has been an ongoing program of doing that for those who were originally capped
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I don't recall seeing anything about that, I must have missed it Jim.
Edit: having done a search this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127626.0.html is the only reference I can find. If it's a general thing then it looks like most people haven't noticed. Well even I didn't for nearly a month!. Even if it's a general rollout would you not have expected to see a service notice on the account ? I can't find one

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW,
Apologies for the confusion here, just checking on the modify order for you has returned this as being placed via automation so this has indeed been carried out as part of the ongoing uncapping work that OldJim has pointed out.
I must admit that I wasn't aware of this ongoing work myself so it came as a bit of a shock when looking at it however it does make sense. As you pointed out, a ticket or service notice would have been good to explain this however this doesn't appear to be included in the ongoing work.
HughA
Grafter

Please don't uncap my upstream.  I have a very long line and an uncapped upstream led to a very unstable link when it was last tried.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Adam,
Thanks for looking into it, at least we know it wasn't accidental Smiley
@HughA, I suspect (hope?) that the automated system will only upcap 'suitable' lines e.g those with a reasonably high downstream sync. That should exclude your long line.

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@MisterW Should is the operative word, I had it happen three times to my connection when I had used the opt out option on my account.  I had the same problems as HughA when it was done those three times.  But eventually I had to get it for one game when 0.4mbit upload just wasn't enough and looked like fibre coming to my exchange fixed the problems I had previously.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November