Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncapping upload speed

andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Uncapping upload speed

Hi all,
I've seen a few forum posts stating that Plusnet can uncap the upload speed on request.
I'm currently syncing at nearly 9mbps down and .5mbps up. Is there any chance of a slightly faster upload speed?
Thanks Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Uncapping upload speed

I've placed an order to have your upstream uncapped. It should complete at some point on Tuesday.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Thanks Bob, that's great. Will my line have to resync for this to take effect?
Appreciate the rapid response too!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think your router will probably be forced to re-sync when BT change the profile.
David
BillE

Quote from: Bob
I've placed an order to have your upstream uncapped. It should complete at some point on Tuesday.

Can I get MY upload speed raised from 256kbps to the blisteringly fast 512kbps I download at?
That would at least help me uploading files to my website.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If your upload is 256kbps then it's not likely to be due to you being on an uncapped product. I'm no longer logged into the VPN so I can't check for you I'm afraid however I'm sure one of our support folk can help if you get in touch with them via the usual channels.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@BillE
If you post the information requested here we can comment on whether your speeds could be improved.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi BillE,
As your download speed is 576kbp/s we wouldn't be able to increase you upload speed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

576 downstream and 256 upstream are the sync speeds for the old pre ADSL Max fixed 512k service. That suggests to me that you are on a very, very long line from the exchange - probably at the limit for getting a broadband connection at all.
Can you post the full output from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Telephone?URL=&SP_NAME=a%20service%20provider&VERSION=... for your telephone number please.
BillE

Quote from: jelv
@BillE
If you post the information requested here we can comment on whether your speeds could be improved.

=================================
For Telephone Number ******** on Exchange BARROCK
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 2Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Also provision of some services may not be allowed due to product withdrawal, please contact your service provider for further details.
==========================================

Interesting it says I should be able to get 1MBPS which is DOUBLE what I currently get.
It is about time those criminals at BT Wholesale upgraded all lines in the UK o a minimum standard before even thinking of promising 8MBPS+ to everyone else 😞
What's even more irksome is you lot charge me MORE for the priviledge of having a [Censored] line 😞
jim:green phone number removed mod:end
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

in which case can you post the stats from your router (noise margins, speeds and attenuation) - this post explains how http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just looked to see where you are - I didn't think Plusnet provided a service inside the arctic circle! Crazy
Have you had problems in the past where your line has been fixed at a lower speed because it kept failing at higher speeds?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BillE,
You've been provided on the 512k static service most likely due to the length of your line - if you could post some router stats we could look at how likely any speed increases would be if we moved you to the ADSL Max service if you wish?