cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncapping upload speed

ajbrown1965
Grafter

Uncapping upload speed

Anyone had any experience of having their upload speed uncapped? If so, how long might it take? i raised a ticket (35564090) two weeks ago to have this done, and followed that up a week later asking what progress had been made. Nothing has happened and I'd be interested to know if anyone else has found this taking so long.
20 REPLIES 20
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Uncapping upload speed

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the previous order to uncap your upstream was placed correctly, I've now placed the order and it's due to complete tomorrow. Sorry about that.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Many thanks!
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Three days after Chris's message saying my upload would be uncapped 'tomorrow' and still nothing appears to have changed. All tests I have carried out indicate I'm still capped. Should I reboot my router or will the change appear automatically, like it does when the download profile changes?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ajbrown1965,
I've just checked the order and it looks as though it's not due to complete until the 18th. It does normally take 24 hours but it seems to have gone through as a 7 day order, sorry about that.
Jojo Smiley
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Thanks Jojo, that's not a problem just as long as I know I've not done anything wrong.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry about that, my mistake. Normally these type of order happen next day so I didn't check the completion date and just assumed it would be the same.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Well, the 18th has come and gone and still no change to my upload speed. I rebooted the router this morning, no difference. All that has happened is that yesterday morning (18th) I received an e-mail saying "Your broadband is now running on an 'up to 20Mb' service. Please note that during the next 10 days, you may see some disconnections to your broadband as checks determine the fastest speed your line can reliably support." I'm on that anyway, have been for nearly  a year!
If there is some technical reason why my upload speed can't be uncapped, then let me know and I won't pursue it any more. If it a case of inefficiency on someone's part, (unlike Plusnet, in my experience). then please can someone take the necessary steps to sort this out. When I first asked to be uncapped I didn't expect to still be waiting after more than two weeks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ajbrown1965,
I've just checked the order and it says it was completed last night. I've ran a line test and it's still showing as 444k for some reason. I'm going to contact BT and see if they can shed any light on it. I'll let you know when I have some more info.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ajbrown1965,
I've just been in touch with BT and they've made the change directly to the MSAN so you should see the change if you disconnect/reconnect now.
Jojo Smiley
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Thanks, Joanne. The router rebooted during the day whilst I was out, and the upload speed has now increased. The download profile dropped from 5000 to 4500, but it does that occasionally, I'll give a day or two to settle and the reboot again. Usually that pushes the profile back up. (I appreciate that increasing the upload speed does have an effect on download, but in my case other things do as well.)
Thanks for the help, I suspect the problem was with BT and not Plusnet!
Snarf
Grafter

Can I ask how you discovered you had a capped upload speed? I'm connected at 448kbps upstream but have never got better than about 380kbps. Are you on a package that allows higher upload speeds or is this just something everyone should have?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are on 21CN you can request it to be uncapped, but you need to have a decent download speed for it to be worthwhile (uncapping upload can reduce download).
If you are on 20CN it's a chargeable extra - see Max Premium on http://trials.plus.net/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ajbrown1965
Grafter

I've only had the uncapping in place for a few hours, but so far my IP profile has dropped from a steady 5000, where it had been for weeks, to 4000. I know uncapping reduces download speed, but didn't realise it might have that drastic an effect. Does anyone else have an idea of whether this is right, or do I just wait a few days for it to settle?
I did try rebooting the router but that made things worse - mind you 8.30 in the evening isn't the best time. I will try again in the early morning, which is usually when I manage to get my throughput speed up to a sensible level.
Unfortunately it took a couple of weeks to get the uncapping carried out, and it looks as though it was possibly a big mistake!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post your router stats please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)