cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncap/increase Upload Speed for Lync

kbridger
Dabbler

Re: Uncap/increase Upload Speed for Lync

So despite the upload speed being uncapped, at roughly 1Mbps (accounting for overhead) according to the router, I'm still only typically getting 200-300Kbps most of the time.

Is there anything you can do to improve consistency or, as I say, rebalance the up and down speeds e.g. change 17/1 to 16/2?
Grateful for anything you can do, otherwise I face a 60 mile trip to work in the office.
Many thanks in advance.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Lynn shouldn't be using that much bandwidth for a single call.  What codec/quality settings are you using?  Microsoft made a big noise about how brilliant their "RTaudio" adaptive codec was, and how it didn't need admission control because it would optimise itself to the bandwidth available.  Are these Lync to Lync calls, or are they Lync to SIP?
kbridger
Dabbler

It's Lync to Lync.
I'm not sure it is using that much bandwidth, it's just the upload bandwidth isn't *consistently* higher than 300Kbps for forward speech to sound choppy to other callers every now and again.  As I said, reverse speech, I.e. the other callers audio is fine, but that has 17Mbps of elbow room.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When the speech goes choppy are you using the PC or the internet connection for anything else at the same time?
I've just looked in task manager and the Lync process is set as normal priority. If you do have other applications active it might be worth trying pushing up the priority a notch.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

What codec or quality are you using?   Every other form of IP voice manages with less than 100k per call, so not sure what Lync's doing that uses three times as much.   Can you drop it down to G722 mono?   That should be around 150k.
If you've got other upload traffic going on, such as Google Drive synch, or iPhoto or other background tasks, you might want to see if your router can prioritise voice.   It may be a jitter issue rather than bandwidth.
kbridger
Dabbler

All good suggestions Smiley
I've looked at all potential background apps and nothing running that uses upload bandwidth.  It's a work supplied laptop so no services are allowed on it to sync to the cloud. In fact, I've had it so only Lync is running a folks still say my speech goes choppy every couple of minutes. I can't change the codec as the feature is not available.
Also worth noting I only have this happen here on my home Plusnet connection.  It works without any issue at my  partner's house, friend's house and even coffee shop wifi.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Its been a while since I used Lync, but there are many factors that can impact it, as mentioned above, but using a wired connection would be the first thing to try. Are you connecting to the Laptop with a wired headset, or Bluetooth? In either case is it Lync certified?
The only way to get higher upload speeds, is to switch to Fibre.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Although I have my doubts about the busybox explanation, you could try disabling UPnP on the router, as per the second part of this.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: Mustrum
The only way to get higher upload speeds, is to switch to Fibre.

@kbridger Looks like Fibre is available, if this is something you'd be interested in.
Quote from: kbridger
Also worth noting I only have this happen here on my home Plusnet connection.  It works without any issue at my  partner's house, friend's house and even coffee shop wifi.

Any idea what sort of upload speeds they're getting?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
kbridger
Dabbler

I think my partner has Plusnet fibre, so nearly 20Mbps up. Friend is on Virgin, with 3Mbps up. Didn't test the coffee shop, it just worked and I was in a hurry.
Wired and wireless Lync certified headphones make no difference.
Personally, I don't think it would take much of a bandwidth uplift to fix it.  The upload speed here would probably be sufficient if it were consistent, but it spends most of the time around 300Kbps. I'll consider fibre if you guys can't find anything to improve the DSL line quality.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help, but it just needs a bigger pipe. 
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not sure what to say about that really, as we've already said, the upload isn't capped and it's in sync at over 1Mbps.
Just out of interest, are you still using the router we sent you back in 2013 and have you made any changes to the default settings?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
kbridger
Dabbler

Hi Harry, I've not made any changes to the router.
Thanks for your help and have a good weekend.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I wonder if upgrading the router to the latest firmware might help?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good idea Jelv, however it looks like it's already on the latest firmware Undecided
Are you able to try an alternative router to see if that makes any difference? (Maybe borrow one from a friend?)
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@kbridger
Could you confirm which router you have and it's firmware version.
I'm also wondering if the the issue is intermittent if it's associated with errors and packets being retried.
Do you have interleaving enabled? Slightly slower but more reliable may work better.