cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievably slow P2P speeds?

Extinct

Unbelievably slow P2P speeds?

Switched over to you from talktalk recently and service went live yesterday. Got to say unless something improves with the P2P download speeds I can't stick with this service.

Got no problems speed wise for everything else, have been getting speeds of around 1.5 - 1.7MB/s for http stuff.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 13.71 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 15.09 Mbps

Problem is that the speeds for anything torrent/p2p related are atrocious, tried a few different programs now + opened the ports in router etc and they all seem to do the same thing. Upon opening the program the speed will rise to the usual 1.3 - 1.7 Mb/s range then after 30 seconds will drop down to around 30KiB/s - 60KiB/s and very rarely might bounce upto 100KiB/s....And that's it, never goes any higher than that again. Even the upload speed (constant 100 - 200KiB/s) is higher than the down rate.

2 days ago while still with talktalk I was getting full line speed p2p download rate so I know the line is ok the only thing thats changed is my provider.

Do you throttle or traffic shape p2p/torrent connections or is there some kind of problem? 80% of my usage is p2p so if I'm stuck at 50KiB/s then it's not going to do.

3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Unbelievably slow P2P speeds?

I assume you're using the same router as before?

I suspect you may be able to improve the download speed by limiting the upload speed to a little below the maximum upload speed of your line.

Extinct

No am using the router plusnet sent me. Limiting the up speed down to like 20Kib/s instead of full seems to have sorted it, just didnt expect to have to cut the upload rate so much!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Plusnet Hub Zero (2704N) is notoriously bad at handling the situation when you're uploading at full speed and trying to do other things (including downloading) at the same time. So it'll probably be due to the change in router rather than the change of ISP.