cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable IP profile?

midlander
Dabbler

Unacceptable IP profile?

Hi guys, I've been with plusnet Unlimited Fibre for about a month now and just over a week ago I moved my broadband set up into another room. Now, the modem is still connected to the master phone socket allbeit with a longer cable. When I did the bt wholesale speedtest the download and upload speed had remained about the same as before and the ip profile had gone down. This was to be expected although I had hoped it would creep back up. After a week the speeedtest has returned these set of stats:-
Download speed achieved during the test was:- 34.85Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speed is:- 16Mbps-36Mbps
IP Profile for your line is  - 36Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was:- 8.78Mbps
Upstream Rate IP Profile for your line is  - 20Mbps
This was my profile before the move
Download speed achieved during the test was:- 36.65Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speed is:- 16Mbps-43.17Mbps
IP Profile for your line is  - 43.17Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was:- 8.88Mbps
Upstream Rate IP Profile for your line is  - 20Mbps
Originally my estimated IP profile from bt wholesale was 51Mbps and my current linespeed on the plusnet user account shows up as 78Mbps? As you can see a bit of a difference. As I've said in a previous post both the ethernet and wi-fi speed max out at the same speed which seems to me that it has become capped or banded in some way (I would have thought the connected speed would have been a lot quicker). Is there anything that can be practically done to resolve this and get the ip profile back up to what it should be? By the way, I've worked out that my connection is 350m away from the green cabinet, not all that far away really and the table on the thinkbroadband website indicates that I should be getting about 45Mbps download speed at that distance.  Shocked
Sorry to waffle on but I think there's a problem somewhere. Any input from the plusnet staff would be appreciated.  Roll_eyes
22 REPLIES 22
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Unacceptable IP profile?

The Plusnet speed profile thing seems to be rather out of date on mine.
What cable did you use to extend the connection from the VDSL plate ? I extended mine by 5 meters with CAT5E and lost around 3Mb sync speed.
midlander
Dabbler

Hi picbits (Dom), I used a 10m RJ11 to RJ11 "high specification broadband modem lead" from Amazon which was described as having a shielded twisted pair cable with "the same performance as CAT6 cables". I had to move the modem as it was a bit awkward where it was (no power points and right by the front door). The cable does seem a quality bit of kit though. By the way, I did power everthing down properly as sugested in a previous post.
picbits
Rising Star

The cable should be ok then if it's the same spec as CAT6 (but only two twisted pairs).
I'm not sure if the run from the VDSL box to the router affects the signal as much as the run from the phoneline to the VDSL box - I wasn't expecting the 3-4Mb drop in speed when I moved it a shortish distance but that may have happened anyway over time - I can't be bothered to move the modem back to see if it makes a difference.
darklight
Grafter

hey midlander
You said you powered down your hardware, how long did you leave your modem offline before powering back up?
midlander
Dabbler

I left it off for an hour, then waited about 15mins until the green lights lit up then powered on the router wich took about 10mins to re-sync with the modem.
darklight
Grafter

Back in the ADSL days best time for rebooting modem/router was around 12pm till 3pm better sync, not sure if this would make much difference on fibre what time of day did you power down and back again?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi midlander,
I've just run a few checks on your line and there's a possible issue on your line, could you run through the faults checker at http://faults.plus.net and I 'll get that picked up?
midlander
Dabbler

Hi Chris, just read your reply. I've been through the faults checker and answered all the questions.
Much appreciated Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great, thanks for that.
Could you do a soft disconnection, login to your router and click disconnect and then power down your modem and leave it turned off for a few minutes. Power your modem back on and wait for your DSL light to become stable and then click connect in your router.
Once you've done that could you perform a speed test and let me know the results.
midlander
Dabbler

Hi Chris, well that could of gone better,I disconnected via the router then switched the modem off, waited a few minutes and then switched it back on. Green lights synced within a few minutes however, the router then required me to log back in but wouldn't accept the passwords? So in the end I had to turn the router off at the mains and back on. Only then it allowed me to login to the home page by which time it had reconnected itself Shocked
Here are the stats from BT wholesale via ethernet which took a long time to load by the way:-
Download speed:- 25.94Mbps
Max achievable speed:- 26.52Mbps
IP Profile:- 25.52Mbps
Upload speed:-9.61Mbps
Max achievable speed:- 20Mbps
Upstream profile:- 20Mbps
Serves me right for moaning about 35Mbps eh?  Cry
midlander
Dabbler

The gateway that the router has conected to is the dreaded PCL-ag02 by the way Embarrassed
I used to be on PTW-ag01.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like we're going to need an engineer visit arranged, what's your availability over the next week?
midlander
Dabbler

Hi Chris, I'm in all day Tuesday 2nd April if thats any help. Other than that I get in from work about 4.30pm everyday. A home visit will be required then and not just a cabinet reset? By the way I've just done another BT speedtest and the speeds and profile remain the same. Just another question, will there be any cost incurred from the engineers visit?
Many thanks. Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's booked in for you for the 2nd April 8am -1pm.  Shouldn't be an issue on the cost side of things as there has been a fault located externally.