cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send email on iPhone 4S when connected to Plusnet wifi

stephendykes

Unable to send email on iPhone 4S when connected to Plusnet wifi

I've noticed that when I'm sending emails from my iPhone 4S that it does not send when connected to the Plusnet wifi but sends perfectly fine elsewhere.
The emails are sending from several addresses (not my Plusnet email address).
Please can anyone help?
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Unable to send email on iPhone 4S when connected to Plusnet wifi

What SMTP server are you using?  Which port is it set to use?  I think Plusnet prevent you using Port 25 to access somebody else's SMTP server.
James
Grafter

We don't limit access to port 25.
You will need to ensure that you are using relay.plus.net as the outgoing mail server with authentication turned on (username and password the same as your main Plusnet account).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Stephen,
To be sure of a correct understanding of your problem, it would be useful to know how your mail settings are configured on your iPhone.  The symptoms you describe are typical of inhibition of SMTP relaying - prevention of access to SMTP servers without authenticated logon belonging to a different network provider.
To explain, you cannot access Orange Mobile's SMTP server without account security settings from PlusNet's network.
James' suggestion is a fair work around, however such an approach would require knowledge of and access to SMTP servers for every network you might hop onto.  I had this problem the other way around - I could not send mail unless I was connected to a PlusNet network from iPhone / iPad.  The solution is to set the SMTP configuration to use account and password logon.  With that configuration, one an logon to the PN SMTP relay service from anywhere - on PN WiFi at home, Public Wifi hot spots or indeed over 3G etc.
There is an article in the tech library on configuring iPhones for PN email which might be useful to you.
I rather imagine that the same considerations apply the same for using a SMTP server not on the PN network whilst connected to he PN network, given the statement that port access off the PN network s not blocked.  You should check with the owner of your mail service that they accept authenticated connects from other networks - it could be the case that your problem is at their end.  If that is the case, then James' suggestion s the only workable solution, however you will experience the same problem on other wifi networks.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cobalt19
Grafter

Hi. I have the iPhone 4S and have recently moved to Plusnet and I leave the WiFi on the 4S is on by default. I cannot send emails when the Wifi is switched on, but as soon as I switch it off then they do Send via the mobile data signal (T-mobile). I have concluded the following: -
When using Mobile data the Outgoing Server details required in the iPhone email account Settings generally are for the Mobile Providers server (e.g. for T-Mobile they are 'smtp.t-email.co.uk'). When we switch to wifi we are no longer using the mobile data as the email carrier, we are instead using Plusnet home broadband, and the Outgoing Server details for emails require their Server address, which I believe is 'relay.plus.net'.
So clearly if your iPhone email account settings don't list your Plusnet server (as above) then the email won't be going anywhere.
This is my conclusion. Its most annoying as I just this minute noticed a business email I sent from my iphone which was time critical, where I clicked  'send' at 1545hrs, and I just noticed a few minutes (75 mins later) ago it was still in the process of sending (spinning symbol) - but actually it was never going to send as along as wifi was switched on (as no Plusnet server is listed in my email Outgoing server settings on the iphone). I have literally had to pause whilst writing this post to you to talk to a business associate who just said he has the same problem.
The solution? If you must send emails via wifi then change your email server settings in the handset, if not, only send them on mobile data  - using your mobile carriers server details.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Edit:  Comment withdrawn as I disproved what I had asserted.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Using relay.plus.net and port 587 ( instead of 25 ), with authentication, as your outgoing server will work no matter how you are connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NedLudd
Grafter

I don't use PN's servers at all. My mail goes and comes fine. Port 25 is not blocked!
Outgoing mail goes direct to my own mail servers outside the PN domain. Incoming mail is received without problem.
This is via PN and 3G!
It's possible that TMobile do not allow connection to their outgoing servers from PN and that may be the only problem.
To test this, delete the offending mail settings from your iPhone and re-enter them. This is well known to cure a multitude of sins.
If that fails then the problem is either your settings, or TMobile!
Geoff,
York.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: stephendykes
I've noticed that when I'm sending emails from my iPhone 4S that it does not send when connected to the Plusnet wifi but sends perfectly fine elsewhere.
The emails are sending from several addresses (not my Plusnet email address).
Please can anyone help?

Has this always been the case?
Geoff,
York.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have a tiscali email account.  Trying to send via smtp.tiscali.co.uk on Port 25 generates an error message
Task 'Tiscali - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

However the short test message was actually sent successfully.  So I have to withdraw my previous comment.