Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to ping plusnet gateway

RoundhayJohn
Dabbler

Re: Unable to ping plusnet gateway

Hi ejs
Looking at my house connection is probably my next task.  Having said that I am fairly happy with the current performance as I am not having the problems I had with the TP-Link router.
I have only been in the house since January and the telephone line comes in to an older style master socket of the LJU type.  It is a decorative chrome finish so the previous occupants must have replaced the original BT socket (not sure they were allowed to do that).  It is a master socket as it has a ring capacitor in it.  There is an extension wired in to this socket to a room upstairs where I have the router.  The upstairs socket uses a decent looking microfilter (short cable) with the router and a cordless phone plugged in to the relative slots on the microfilter.
The upstairs socket which I am using for the router then has a further extension wired in to the back of it but there is no other phone connected to that extension.
If thehouse had been wired sensibly I would have used the master socket for the router to start with but there is no power socket nearby.  I may try the router from the master socket as an experiment but this will involve trailing wires across the hallway.  The extra distance to the upstairs should not make any difference anyway but this does depend on the quality of the cabling and connections in the house.  I did notice that the bell wire was connected between master socket and extensions so I will probably disconnect this.  I will probably also disconnect the second extension as this is not used.
I have done a quiet line test and it sounds OK to me.  There is a slight background static white noise but hardly audible.  There were no crackles, whistles pops etc.  Should the line be completely silent?  I don't have a wired phone so the slight noise could be due to the cordless phone.
I don't like to experiment too much now I have an internet connection which is at least working.
RoundhayJohn
Dabbler

Re: Unable to ping plusnet gateway

Hi Erno
Thanks for your reply.  I was using PPPoA not PPPoE so that was not the problem in my case.  I had also tried using a PPPoE connection as that was how the router autoconnected initially.  It did work like that but with similar drop outs and failed reconnects.  I switched to PPPoA for my manual connections and still ran into the same problems.  Whilst the router seemed OK when I first used it, it became progressively worse so I am pretty sure it was a faulty router.
Regards
John