cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get Wired connection working (WiFi works OK) - LAN doesn't have a valid IP configuration

rpd123

Unable to get Wired connection working (WiFi works OK) - LAN doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Trying to connect to Wired instead of Wifi to see if that helps with poor quality Skype calls. Doesn't work, although Wifi works fine from same computer and other devices.

Using Windows 7. Sagemcom 2704n router. Have updated driver for ethernet adapter.

Connects to router via ethernet cable but says 'no internet access'. Have tried with both automatic settings but also manual IP etc addresses (from other posts on here).

Please advise!

8 REPLIES 8
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Unable to get Wired connection working (WiFi works OK) - LAN doesn't have a valid IP configurati

Hi @rpd123

Thanks for getting in touch.

Is this issue consistent across more than one device?

Is it the same in every ethernet port on the back of the router?

Best Wishes,

Dave

rpd123

Re: Unable to get Wired connection working (WiFi works OK) - LAN doesn't have a valid IP configurati

Thanks Dave.

My other devices are mobile phones, which connect to WiFi fine, and a Playstation 4, which connects to Wired fine (never tried it wireless).

Have tried, and it's the same in every port on the back of the router.

Kind regards.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Is it a Windows computer? If so open a command prompt by entering cmd in the search box, right click and select 'run as administrator '.

When the window opens type:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

See if that does the trick.

I'm sure that you can do the same with other operating systems if you do a Google search for renewing IP address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

rpd123

Thanks. I tried that (and some other follow up pointers from the Microsoft help forum).

Got this message at the time:

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified."

Caused my computer to run Startup Repair when I rebooted! Thankfully it is still working OK.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Have you checked whether the repair has fixed the original problem?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @rpd123 

Did the IP refresh that @Baldrick1 suggested work? 

That would have been my first point of call as well, if you click here it's also the first advised fix on the Microsoft Community page. 

Let us know how you got on!

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@rpd123 - sorry to hear that you are having problems.

I can't help solve your current problem, but I would suggest that on a separate note, you consider upgrading your router.

The 2704n router is quite basic and not dual band. I was having issues with mine and changed to a BT HH6. It's a better router and the wifi is so much better (dual band etc).

Hope you get your issue fixed.