cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to company VPN

Hugard007

Unable to connect to company VPN

Since Friday I have been unable to connect to my company VPN from home. I can connect fine from other non-work networks so I have narrowed it down to being an issue with my PlusNet broadband. I haven't changed any settings anywhere and my company hasn't changed anything. I have tried the usual of resetting both the modem and the router but I just continue to get it trying to connect to the https URL (I connect to the VPN via the browser) and getting it fail 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. All other internet sites seem to be accessible so I am now stuck! I have seen there have been issues since Friday with some internet services - could this be linked. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Hugard007

Re: Unable to connect to company VPN

OK so looking at this using the VPN Client, this is telling me that I have Limited Access - DNS failure and the log is telling me it is unable to lookup host names. This is very odd as I can get to all other websites with no problems... anyone have any ideas? It seems others in the forum have had VPN issues but never really found an answer.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Hugard007,
I'm really sorry for the delayed response and for the issues that you're experiencing.
On the Laptop/PC you're trying to VPN from, are you able to change your DNS Settings?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7
Hugard007

Nope, it's a company Laptop locked down with an Admin password I am not allowed! Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I assume you're using the Technicolor 582n?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try a tracert to the url as that just may help to identify the problem
You could always change the DNS settings in the router - this covers it for the Plusnet supplied router http://npr.me.uk/
Hugard007

Yes Technicolor TG582n FTTC - software release: 8.C.M.0
Hugard007

Thanks Oldjim - if I try and tracert it tells me it is unable to resolve target system name - what does changing the DNS do? (the instructions say to change it to OpenDNS - what implications does that have?) sorry if that's a basic question!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Using the OpenDNS with a higher metric as specified means that the DNS lookup first tries the OpenDNS ones and only if this fails goes on to try the Plusnet ones which will be added back in automatically
Another option is Google DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Hugard007

Oldjim - you sir are a genius! - Changed the DNS via Telnet and it immediately popped up telling me it was ready to connect, and my VPN now works - thanks for the advice, happy customer Smiley (although confused why this has happened?)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you tried rebooting the router?
There was a problem reported a little while ago where vpn stopped working. It was apparently caused by a firmware update to the BT fibre modem.
Don't know if they're still rolling out this firmware or if the issue was ever fixed.
http://revk.www.me.uk/2013/11/bt-huawei-fttc-modem-bug-breaking-vpns.html
rbroadbe
Grafter

I've been affected by this today too.  I don't really want to start messing around with router settings so would like to know if PlusNet are aware of the issue and are looking to fix it at the ISP level?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

you could also change the DNS servers on your computer if it isn't locked down
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have a word with our Networks guys.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Our DNS servers only allow requests from within the Plusnet network. 
This sounds like the VPN is connecting fine, then running a test, through the VPN tunnel to see if it has web access by doing some host name look ups.  Those requests go down the tunnel, to the VPN host and then back to the DNS server which is specified on the original machine.  Because this is set to our DNS servers, we then reject the look up, because it is coming from out side our network. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager