cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to company VPN

stives1974
Dabbler

Unable to connect to company VPN

I use Checkpoint Endpoint Security to connect to my company network.  For the last week I have been unable to connect  (it had previously worked for two years fine)  The connection eventually fails with 'Negotiation with site failed'.  On the same laptop I can connect successfully, (neighbours broadband, parents broadband, work backup adsl connection).  Surely something must be being blocked by Plusnet.
18 REPLIES 18
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Unable to connect to company VPN

Has the Plusnet Firewall setting been changed to High? You can check that at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall. The setting needs to be no higher than Low for VPN to work.
If you change the setting you need to disconnect from and reconnect to Plusnet to bring the change into effect.
David
stives1974
Dabbler

The firewall was set the the standard I believe (I am at work at present so cannot check)  I turned off the firewall as a test but it still did not work.  I have also reset the router back to the default settings to no avail.  I was led to believe the Plusnet's support was good however my experience of it since logging Question #78428253  (closed in error yesterday) and Question #78712553 has been quite the opposite.  The ticket just sits in the queue with no response and phone queue times are over an hour.
Reluctantly I an going to have to find another provider.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There were some issues in the past with VPN and the PlusNet supplied router(TG582n). I don't see why it would suddenly stop working though, unless perhaps the type of VPN being used has been changed. Anyway the instructions to sort the problem are here http://npr.me.uk/vpnissue.html and so may be worth trying ( they can't do any harm! )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just incase it may help at all.
stives1974
Dabbler

I have a Technicolor Gateway 8.C.M.0.
avatastic
Grafter

Are you on FTTC? It could be the BT Openreach modem http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/11/bt-openreach-fttc-superfast-broadband-modems-break-vpn-...
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: stives1974
The firewall was set the the standard I believe (I am at work at present so cannot check)  I turned off the firewall as a test but it still did not work.

Did you disconnect and then reconnect the PPP session (or reboot the router) after you'd changed the setting?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stives1974
Dabbler

I did disconnect, also rebooted the router.  I am planning to upgrade the firmware.
stives1974
Dabbler

Anyone have a link to the latest firmware and upgrade tool.
Some input from Plusnet support would be most welcome!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Before you upgrade the firmware, I'd try a further test by setting up a PPPoE connection on your machine plugged directly into the BT modem... 
stives1974
Dabbler

Upgraded Technicolor TG582n FTTC to firmware version 10.2.5.2 still cannot connect to site.  Turned firewall off on both router and in Member Centre.  Disconnected from internet and rebooted router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did it work when you tried the PPPoE connection direct to the modem (i.e. without the router)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)