cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect: CHAP authentication failed.

shoukanshi

Unable to connect: CHAP authentication failed.

Hi all,
My connection has been working fine since I moved into my new flat two months ago but last night it dropped off without any warning and I've been unable to reconnect. I logged into the router CP and it is giving the error "CHAP authentication failed" Here is what I have tried for troubleshooting so far:

• Changing my plusnet account password - updating changes in my router CP and attempting to reconnect

• Rebooting the router

• Unplugging the router and leaving it off overnight

• Reconfiguring the router from scratch

I'm at my wits end as to why it won't reconnect as it's a CHAP authentication error surely that means an issue with my login credentials, but I have triple checked and everything in my setting's is correct.
Any help would be appreciated!
Y
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unable to connect: CHAP authentication failed.

Our connection logs show that you reconnected at around 8.15 this morning and have been connected since then. Are you still having issues getting to websites or doing anything else internet related?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shoukanshi

Hi Chris,
I plugged my router back in this morning whilst I was getting ready for work. I checked it very briefly before I left at 8:40 and the router had all the necessary green lights but my desktop tray icon still displayed "no internet access". I'm now out of the office at work and won't be able to check until lunch time. Please kindly keep my post open until I can confirm everything is working again? Smiley
Y
JEB
Grafter

Not sure if it is linked but my session dropped at about 10 past midnight and my router kept reporting CHAP authorisation failed and wouldn't reconnect.  Going to my router logs it did finally reconnect about 1:30 and was fine when I checked this morning.
This may be due to this:
http://status.aaisp.net.uk/apost.cgi?incident=1437
As the time agrees to within 30 seconds or so.

James
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI shoukanshi,
If you log into your router there should be a button to connect. You may just need to click that. If it's not that then check your connection to the router from your computer, whether wired or wireless, as we can see that you're connected at our end.
Jojo Smiley