cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access workplace servers

N1ck1959

Unable to access workplace servers

I work from home 2-3 days a week and for the last year have had no trouble using my employer's laptop at home using the plusnet service.
Today however it will not let me connect to the work servers - although it does allow me to connect to the email service.
A couple of colleagues that use Plusnet tell me that they have had the same problem, and that it has been resolved by Plusnet ...something to do with IP addresses.
I have tried contacting Plusnet where the chap did a 'remote reboot' of my IP connection and said that should solve it. I was sceptical through experience and needless to say the reboot has made no change.
Unfortunatey the work colleagues that have suffered similarly have been unable explain what was needed to resolve it, but from their discussions with Plusnet it seems to be a 'known issue' ...but evidently not known by the bod that I had on the online chat help thing earlier.
Has anyone else had this problem and can remember what is needed to solve it?
7 REPLIES 7
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to access workplace servers

See:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149139.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149066.0.html
Try posting in the first thread with details of what VPN software you use and hope the Bob picks it up - PN need to do better on internal comms when issues like this crop up and workarounds are discovered!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm guessing you work for a government department? Drop me a private message containing a bit of background and I'll pick it up tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N1ck1959

Thanks Bob - local council. I have messaged you off-forum. Nick
N1ck1959

By way of update, I have just had a call from 'IT' at work telling me:
"This is a known issue with PlusNet, you need to turn off IPv6 firewall on the router and do a 45 min power down and you may need to contact PlusNet to get instructions on how to do this".
Not at home to try it just now, but will have a go later. Is it easy to turn off the IPv6?
N1ck1959

Many thanks Bob for efficient resolution. He did some magic whilst I was in the office, so I didn't have to venture into IPv6 territory as he messaged me and it was all working when I returned home  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Switching IPv6 off on the router !!!
I'm struggling to see what that would have to do with the price of fish, unless the firmware in the Plusnet router is really cocked-up.
I've been running IPv6 for over three years, and VPNs for longer, although admittedly not using a Plusnet router.
I'd say -
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: N1ck1959
By way of update, I have just had a call from 'IT' at work telling me:
"This is a known issue with PlusNet, you need to turn off IPv6 firewall on the router and do a 45 min power down and you may need to contact PlusNet to get instructions on how to do this".

In short, your IT department are misguided Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵