cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra Slow

DonaldDuck
Dabbler

Ultra Slow

I live down a private road and was getting  330k maximum download day or night which is about 6 youtube vids at 720p any more and they start buffering and hanging. If I use Netflix then forget about anything else I got a pretty good router with bandwidth monitor. I called in and they said they made some adjustments and now I have a lightning speed of 380k Is this a joke ?
Funny how when I call up they always try to sell me fibre but there's no way they can get fibre down here as the green box is about a mile away

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 246

Re: Ultra Slow

Can you post your router statistics - then we may be able to help you

John
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

On
On
SNR Margin
8.0 dB
11.0 dB
Line Attenuation
63.5 dB
31.5 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Interleaved
Interleave Depth
Data Rate
3392 kbps
640 kbps
Max Rate
3680 kbps
812 kbps
Power
18.0 dbm
12.0 dbm
INP
2.0 symbols
2.4 symbols
jab1
Legend

Also, it would be helpful to see details from these two links:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL - obscure/hide your phone number

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - please complete the advanced test.

John
jab1
Legend

From your router stats, you are getting about as good as you can, given the reported line attenuation, and FTTC, if the cab is that far away, wouldn't be a good idea.

Your line is interleaved, presumably to try and alleviate the errors which have caused your SNR to rise (and reduce the download rate), but one strange issue is the level of upstream SNR - I don't understand the reason for that.

John
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 2.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 - 4 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 2.99 Mbps
2.77 Mbps

4 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 0.68 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 0.83 Mbps
0.68 Mbps

0.83 Mbps
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

Putting all the tech aside I'm very suspicious about the pure straight line on my download speed monitor. If was just the length of line to the cab and some other electrical anomolies the data rate would rise and fall especially in the middle of the night.
I suspect there is a data cap in place. It does the exact same amount 24/7 when I'm downloading files and when I'm not downloading a lot it just fluctuates as normal below the maximum line

jab1
Legend

Your test results look about right, given the SNR figures quoted, but the results of the other link I posted would be useful, please.

Are red figures inserted by you, to suggest you expect them? - if so, I'm sorry  but they are the max possible on a clean line, which yours isn't.

John
jab1
Legend

@DonaldDuck wrote:

I suspect there is a data cap in place. It does the exact same amount 24/7 when I'm downloading files and when I'm not downloading a lot it just fluctuates as normal below the maximum line

OK, can we see a screen grab of your data monitor - and it would fall, rather than rise in the middle of the night, due to icreased electrical activity. There is no data cap - just being on a very marginal line.

John
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

I just copy pasted the results which came out in red
the speed test showed 2.77 Mb on the download

jab1
Legend

OK - it is a while since I've run that test, can't remember exactly what i looks like.

John
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

The line tests and speed checker say that the line can handle some speed in theory. The straight line (ceiling) on the traffic monitor says something else to me. Run 6 Youtube vids =330KB run 20 Youtube vids buffering =330KB  day or night -no spikes it just flat lines like it's on a rev limiter

jab1
Legend

OK, but as I've said, you are on a marginal, impacted, line which will have a detrimental effect on performance. Which line tests and checker are you talking about? And without seeing the traffic monitor I can't really comment, although based on the figures you have provided, as I said, you are getting as good as you will.

I am assuming you are somewhere 'out in the wilds' as it were, and I'm also guessing your exchange is some distance away, and you are fed by overhead wires?

EDIT - are you sure the traffic monitor is performing correctly?

John
DonaldDuck
Dabbler

The exchange is about 3 mile away and the Cab about 1 mile. I checked the download rate with ProtonVPN which also has a traffic monitor which shows the same flat line and I also have two PCs next to each other so I can run some bandwidth through the VPN and some not - all the data correlates. Seems funny that they are confident in selling me on the fibre upgrade yet I don't see how they could possibly improve the situation using the same lines if they can't get me 1Mb.how they going to get me 15Mb which is what they said  I'm out of contract so I'll have a shop around and see if my download speed suddenly mysteriously improves

jab1
Legend

OK, you have answered nearly all my questions, so I'll give up asking for those you haven't - as a point of interest, FTTC and ADSL are different animals, so behave differently, but based on the data provided, irrespective of who you go with as an ISP, the signals will still all come down the same wires, and you will get very similar speeds.

John