cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate (VDSL) service temporarily supported as ASDL on a Hub 1?

peterb312

Ultimate (VDSL) service temporarily supported as ASDL on a Hub 1?

I was looking to upgrade to "ultimate broadband" which I believe is VDSL.  However I can't guarantee when I will be able to swap my Hub 1 over to a Hub 2, and don't want to lose service altogether.

If I sign up to ultimate, will the VDSL service automatically fall back to ADSL2 if the router doesn't support VDSL, or could I lose connectivity altogether?    Or should I get the router swapped first, and then agree to having the service switched over.

(Of course it's a bit hard to get the new router without ordering the new service...)

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Ultimate (VDSL) service temporarily supported as ASDL on a Hub 1?

@peterb312  Welcome to the Community forums.

There are three 'fibre' products. Fibre, Fibre Extra and Full Fibre. The first two are FTTC (xDSL, a step up from VDSL) and run over the copper phone network. Full fibre or FTTP is a totally different product, ispotentially lightning fast and requires a separate fibre connection to your property. Which do you call Ultimate fibre?

Upgrading to Fibre Extra from either ADSL or the standard Fibre requires no changes to the Hub and should upgrade automatically. The Hub 1 works on all three, it's just that a Hub 2 is a newer device than the Hub 1 in that it has better wireless performance.

Full fibre is totally different. You have a new connection box called an ONT installed in your property and the hub has to be unplugged from your phone Master socket and a different cable used to connect it to the ONT. With full fibre you lose your landline connection and the original copper connection will no longer work, so you can't revert if there's a problem. Again the Hub 1 will work but with some performance limitations.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@peterb312 

Put your number in here to see what's available.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You're looking for VDSL or WBC FTTP

Brian

peterb312

Hi, thanks very much.  It's specifically FTTC (which I realise is xDSL rather than VDSL) and not full fibre.   (I do think many broadband providers are slightly confusing now there is full fibre that FTTC is also sold as fibre)    I'm currently on ADSL (or specifically ADSL2+ I think) ... it's a fairly remote village in Scotland so I think only recently got the cabinets upgraded.

I didn't realise the Hub 1 supported xDSL/VDSL as the PlusNet ordering process stated "your old router will not work with your new fibre package" 

My worry was the risk of losing broadband if the copper circuit was switched over and the broadband hub plugged in at the time didn't support VDSL.     But if "my old router" is compatible after all, it's not a worry.

Out of interest though, does the circuitry in the cabinet fail back to ADSL2+ if the hub doesn't sync to xDSL?   I'm aware they are different modulation methods, but unsure if the cabinet is "smart" in the sense of negotiating both.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Out of interest though, does the circuitry in the cabinet fail back to ADSL2+ if the hub doesn't sync to xDSL?

no it doesn't,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@peterb312 

FTTC is VDSL. With ADSL the internet connection is provided from the Exchange. With VDSL the signal comes from the Cabinet which is supplied by pure fibre. This shortens the distance over which the signal has to travel on copper which increases the speeds available.

As far as I can remember both the Hub one and two work with either.

If you login to your PN portal and then look at upgrade options it'll tell you the expected speeds available.

Brian

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

@Baldrick1 wrote:

... xDSL, a step up from VDSL ...

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I just wanted to check on this in case my understanding is incorrect.  I thought xDSL was a term to cover all kinds of DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) technologies, so ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL, VDSL2, SDSL etc...  Within that VDSL2 is the technology used on FTTC in the UK (at least the majority).

Have I misunderstood this, or is the above not quite accurate?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@pjmarsh  your understanding is correct

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Thanks @MisterW, I thought that's what it was, but I've thought it for so long I can't remember where from, and it's not too unusual for me to be wrong, especially if you ask my wife!

Anyway, sorry for going a bit off topic.  @peterb312, I hope your upgrade goes well.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@pjmarsh wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

... xDSL, a step up from VDSL ...

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I just wanted to check on this in case my understanding is incorrect.  I thought xDSL was a term to cover ....

Have I misunderstood this, or is the above not quite accurate?

I would guess that @Baldrick1 had a finger stumble and meant to say "... VDSL, is a step up from ADSL ..." - you are correct Phil xDSL is a group term covering the lot!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Townman wrote:

I would guess that @Baldrick1 had a finger stumble and meant to say "... VDSL, is a step up from ADSL ..." - you are correct Phil xDSL is a group term covering the l

More of brain fog than finger stumble I'm afraid. That's what I was trying to say. sorry for causing confusion

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'