cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USO on plusnet

Stew123

USO on plusnet

Hi I’m about renew my contract with plusnet but am reluctant as speed has dropped off over the last year to about 3 down 0.4 up. Will plusnet be part of the uso scheme or can they help with my line speeds? Thanks for any advice.
9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: USO on plusnet

@Stew123 

Have you checked your expected speeds recently to see what should be receiving.

www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Stew123

Hi bmc just done a test and took a screenshot but don’t know how to post it(total newb). Last year I got 15 down and 1 up but it’s Gradually tailed off.
bmc
Hero

@Stew123 

New forum members are not allowed to add attachments - can't remember if it's a time or post limit before the restriction gets lifted. An Add Attachment (a paper clip) link will appear below the box when you can add images.

From what you've said it certainly appears that something's gone wrong. Log into your PlusNet account, go to Support, Broadband and then Broadband Troubleshooter. This runs checks to see if anything specific is noticed.

Remember tests should be run on a wired connection.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Regarding USO, Plusnet will not be involved in providing USO solutions - only BT will provide these (other than in the Hull area).

If you are likely to be eligible for a USO solution don't get locked into long contract with any ISP other than BT, or you will have to pay any fee that may be required to break that contract. Some ISPs do offer monthly contracts, but generally cost more. I would certainly wait a month before deciding, as the USO situation should be clearer by then.

Meanwhile there is no harm in getting Plusnet to investigate and hopefully fix your speed drop.

bmc
Hero

Stew123

Cheers for the replies guys I’m going to request cease of service and go down the 4g route on a 12 month contract until openreach can at least give us fttc.
bmc
Hero

@Stew123 

Given you were getting 15 down last year it would be worth checking for a fault through the previous link I gave. It might just be something simple that gets you back to where you were.

Have you checked recently to see if Fibre is coming to your area

www.openreach.com/

Brian

dromoxen

I wouldnt bother with the 4g route I just tried exactly the same thing brand new router B535 , sat in the window, box states 400Mbits /300Mbits LOL Nothing like it .. extremely variable speeds Admittedly upload was ok at 4-8MB/s but download wavered between 4 6 and once ! it registered 24 on OOKla. But really it was generally very slow and noticeably slow even when browsing ordinary websites. I am in Zone2 TFL so could even get 5g ..If I could get anything like 25/5 I would have been happy. Got to pester the building to get a Fibre box in the comms room. ANCHor housing BTW

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If you don't get a strong 4G signal you need to research where your local masts are, and may need to use a directional antenna. It is often easier in rural areas as in urban areas buildings can get in the way of the signal.

Each locality will have different speeds available from each of the providers, as they don't use the same masts or frequencies.

The 4G routers state 300Mbps or whatever as that is the maximum they can handle in ideal circumstances. If your signal is weak, the cell you are using has narrow bandwidth, or there is congestion the speed you get will be substantially lower.

Have you tried the BT USO checker? If so does that suggest 4g?