cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB wireless adaptors

grumpytc

USB wireless adaptors

I recently signed up to fibre broadband unlimited as I was fed up with Sky and a speed of around 1.5 Mbs, although this was not fibre. Before installing Plusnet, I inserted a realtec 150 Mbs  N USB adaptor as my old laptop was only wireless G. My speed improved dramatically to around 35 Mbs, but not the estimated 60 Mbs. Suspecting my wireless capability, I used a temporary ethernet link and obtained 50 to 55 Mbs. I then changed my USB adaptor to a Belkin 300 Mbs adaptor and am now on 40 to 45 Mbs and I am delighted with this, as I do not want an ethernet cable draped across my lounge. Obviously to further improve my speed I would need a new laptop with integrated wireless N, but being a poor pensioner this is out of the question!.
I certainly would recommend the Belkin 300 Mbs N adaptor for anyone with a older laptop.
Overall I am very happy with Plusnet and their Plusnet Assist, customer service, email portal, etc, and will heartily recommend it.
3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: USB wireless adaptors

NedLudd
Grafter

Be careful with that.  Huh I did that once only to find that the 'N' card required 3 ariels and my lappy was fitted with only one!  Embarrassed
I wasn't up to splitting the screen to fit the extra two. They were, however, easy to source.
Geoff,
York.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It depends on your laptop, and you do need to research compatibilty, but you can often easily replace the onboard wireless card with a better one.
I've done that a few times very successfully.  Cheesy
The inbuilt aerials are MUCH better than anything you get on a plug-in USB dongle.