Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP (SNATT) mode / Client IP Filter

LuthersBoots
Grafter

UDP (SNATT) mode / Client IP Filter

Hi all, I am still having issues with My slingbox setup in the states:
USA: Slingbox Solo connected to comcast digital tivo box. 30mb down 10mb up.
UK: Plusnet 20mb connection (averaging about 16mb download) TEsted froma  USA Serveer latency dropss my connection down to 8mb.
UK: Thomson 801.11g wireless router
Ipad / iphone.

The other night I was watching the NFL between the hours of 6-9pm and the speed rarely got above 1000kbs Plusnet according to their website do not shape traffic for streaming at any time during the day.
I was able to watch the game but not at the best quality.
I posted this on another forum and I got a very promising reply http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/slingbox-and-your-network/optimizing-my-network/#p6652
Basically I want to know if I have to buy a new router to do this and if so what sort of router should I look for other that the belkin the user sugests?
15 REPLIES 15
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: UDP (SNATT) mode / Client IP Filter

Hmm.  That sounds like we aren't identifying the traffic properly and treating it as p2p or something.  Can you get us a wireshark of the traffic?  Another option would be to add the Pro add on, which would eliminate any traffic management issues.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Thanks Kelly. I don't know how to use Wireshark...I could learn but I haven't used it before.
Is there somewhere I can get a step by step guide? I run OS X.
I am on the old unlimited package and I don't think I can get an update to Pro.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Customer Support Library article Using Wireshark for Data Capture describes the process. That guide provides a link to video help for Windows and Mac OS X.
Note that you need to capture the start of a problem transmission and should stop after no more than 10 seconds to avoid the captured file becoming too large.
David
LuthersBoots
Grafter

I cannot get Wireshark to work. I am running osx 10.7 and I have read various other posts suggesting that Wireshark wont work for them either.
Is port 5001 being restricted??? BEcause thats the port it's on.
LB
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It looks at more than just the port number to identify what type of traffic it is - that's why they need the wireshark trace.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
prichardson
Grafter

Port 5001 is the default port for Slingbox, unless you have more than one Slingbox on your network.
I've checked the switches and can see we use a combination of methods to match traffic. This includes the port 5001 and we can see that our network is detecting Slingbox traffic.
I do note that our configuration may limit some methods of detection when you have more than one Slingbox, or use a port other than 5001. Can I ask how you established it was port 5001 in your own case?
LuthersBoots
Grafter

I tried Wireshark and until I get a windows computer on the network I wont be able to test it.
I looked into the port settings on the slingbox website and it says 5551 however my brother said it he set it up as 5001.
Will Wireshark be able to tell me what port it is ACTUALLY on?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Wireshark won't tell you what colour your PC is painted, but it will tell you everything else! Tongue
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks,
As per the reply from Jelv, we could do with a capture if you are not entirely sure what is setup. This will give us all the information we require.
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Just sent a PM with the file link...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

PM had been sent to me - here's the reply I gave:
Quote from: jelv
You need to zip up the file. Then go to https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22451&wizard_id=38 to raise a ticket explaining the problem and attach the zipped file to the ticket. Finally I suggest you post the number of the ticket to the topic in the forums which hopefully Phil will pick up.
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Also raised a ticket: Question #60357387
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks,
I've just tried to drop you a call to see if I can answer a few questions. Some of these may need to be over PM, for the reason you detailed to me in the original PM
I can see a number of streams for the Slingbox. Not one of them are on port 5001 though.
I can see port 5799 and even 5004. Though these are to two destinations. So the first question is, which is the IP address of your Slingbox? Let us know over a PM.
I believe the 5799 one to be the one we need to look at.
That said, there is something odd looking, but not quite what we think. We need to get the IP of your Slingbox though to verify this. If we are right, the Slingbox traffic is in Titanium. aka, you should not see any problems. Despite this, Titanium is wrong as it should be Gold.
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Hi all...still not heard back for an update. Nothing has changed on my end at all.
I am beginning to think I may have to look elsewhere.