cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two BT Master Sockets

chewie
Grafter

Two BT Master Sockets

Hi, I have a quick question and was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice.
I've recently moved to a new house which appears to have two BT master sockets.  They both have the split faceplate with a master test socket behind.
I was wondering if this is likely to be an issue and cause problems with broadband speed etc.  I've read conflicting things on whether it's likely to be a problem or not.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Two BT Master Sockets

do they both work as it may be that once there were two lines into the house
chewie
Grafter

Yes I've just checked and the other socket is live.  However I lost my broadband connection when the phone was plugged into it for some reason.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that the one which works on broadband has a filtered faceplate and hence the other socket has been connected to the phone only wires.
This would mean that there isn't a problem and I suspect that whoever wired up the property had run out of extension sockets so used a spare master instead
chewie
Grafter

Ok thanks Jim.  It's weird that whenever I connect a phone to this and get a dialling tone my router goes down though.  I guess I just won't plug anything into it in future
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Did you try connecting the phone to that second socket using a microfilter?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Remove the lower part of the face plates to reveal both test sockets. One of the test sockets should still be live (that's the real master) and the other dead. If they are both still live you've got problems!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also to add to Jelv's comment if both of these are live (after face plates are off) try to make a call out on each line. If one of them cuts you off mid-dial then that was a second line and can be ignored.
chewie
Grafter

OK thanks I've connected to the test socket and there's no dial tone so seems it's just connected as an extension socket.  Not sure why it reboots the router when I plug a phone into it though (I did use a microfilter). 
Think I'll just leave well alone  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sometimes just plugging in a phone/microfilter combination causes an SNRM spike which triggers a resync.
And a reminder the clear way to check whether you actually have 2 lines and/or what they are is to dial 17070. You will be told what the circuit is.
How is this second socket actually wired?