cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twilight Zone Speeds

confident
Rising Star

Twilight Zone Speeds

Just wondering if anyone else has seen really weird results from Oookla speed test over the last number of days?
Long story short: I have an ongoing, intermittent problem on an adsl (rural connection, 1.4 up 0.35 down, sigh) Anyway, I have been running regular tests to keep my own log of speeds and yesterday and the day before was getting periods of massive download speeds - as in 10 - 75 Mbps Graph attached.
Never had this happen before; can anyone shed any light as to what might be going on?
6 REPLIES 6
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Twilight Zone Speeds

Anti virus programs have been known to cause false speed test results. You could try disabling the AV before doing a speed test.
confident
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply npr, but using avast AV on main PC and laptops and have been running it with speed test for years without an issue. Also getting the same oddball results on a MacBook.  Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Karen,
You seem to be posting in a couple of concurrent threads on your issues; it would be helpful if they could be kept in one place please.  Did the engineer show between 17:05 and 18:00 yesterday?
Can you please post all of the information asked for under the speed issues thread at the top of the broadband forum, so as to enable people to provided fully informed assistance?  Thank you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

confident
Rising Star

Townman, Sorry but I was simply curious to know if anyone had seen these type of oddball results in speedtest, the reference to the problem was merely an explanation as to why I was running so many test. Didn't mean to confuse the issue.  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It might be worth running the TBB speed test as this can be more informative http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
confident
Rising Star

Thanks OldJim, haven't been able to replicate the high ones on either the thinkBB tester or BT's tester.
Really use speedtest.net as it keeps a log of all the tests so that I can work out if there is a pattern to any of the fluctuations. Was curious to know if anyone else had tripped over so weird "goings on".