Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning the Plusnet router into an access point

LeeC
Dabbler

Turning the Plusnet router into an access point

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I wasn't able to find the answer.
I want to turn the router into an access point and basically stop everything else on there as I have a firewall which I want to use, this established my ADSL connection but it lacks the access point.
Before I go out and buy an access point, is it possible to disable most of the features in the current plusnet router and have it pass through traffic connected via WiFi.
Thanks in advance.
Lee
15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Turning the Plusnet router into an access point

Basically you need to Disable DHCP, set the LAN IP of the router to a static IP in the same subnet as the firewall ( but outside it's DHCP range ) and then connect one of its LAN ports to the firewall. This might help explain http://npr.me.uk/together.html , you are effectively configuring it as the second router in that scenario.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LeeC
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply and information I will have a look at it and let you know how it goes.
jimbof
Grafter

If you are happy typing stuff into a command line there are a few tweaks you can apply to the router over telnet; such as disabling power management and tweaking the wireless radio.  http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html
This router also does some funky DNS spoofing which you might want to disable; I can't remember the exact commands but you basically look at the help for the DNS commands in telnet.  If you don't do this under some situations you might have DNS being spoofed to some weird addresses (confused me for hours).
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: LeeC
I have a firewall which I want to use, this established my ADSL connection but it lacks the access point.

I'm wondering if you just have a modem / firewall and need a cable router. i.e. one which makes a PPPoE connection through a ewan port to a modem.
If this is the case then try using Plusnets fibre firmware (8.C.M.0) for the tg582n, this allows the router to make a pppoe connection to a modem.
see
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
LeeC
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies I will give the command line a go, thanks for the DNS tip I will see what I can play with and break.
I have a Sophos UTM which I have configured to make the PPPoE connection and it works well but I just need to sort out the access point, reusing one rather than buying an AP seemed worth a go.  Looks like I should work.
Thanks
Lee
oliverb
Grafter

In my experience it was enough to turn off DHCP services on the device in question and manually assign it an IP. The device will probably still try to provide a DNS proxy but the machines on the LAN won't use it for DNS as they'll get the DNS IP from the real router.
Downsides to this:
1: Unless you can turn it off the device may still flash warning lights about having no broadband
2: Because the device is configured to be a gateway its admin pages cannot be reached via another gateway. This is rarely a problem.
npr
Pro

1) The lights can be turned off via telnet Wink
2) If both devices are configured to be on the same subnet but with a different IP address the admin page can be accessed
LeeC
Dabbler

NPR thanks for the guides they worked a treat, I also had a play with the telnet commands and all is well.
I have left the lights on the router as I do not see a red light to say there is no broadband, however I would like to know if its possible to reconfigure port 4 to be a standard port.  I have had a play but not managed to change it from the ADSL2 port to just a basic port.  Do you know if this is locked down?  Ideally I would like to use it but if I try connect a device to it I get an apipa address or if I try use it for the firewall connection it doesnt establish the connection.
Thanks
Lee
npr
Pro

I sounds like you have it configured for fibre with eth 4 being a ewan port.
You need to load ADSL firmware to get all 4 ports working as ethnet.
Try firmware 8.4.4.J -- chose with or without USB port whichever suits your router.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
Glad the guide helped.  Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought the latest FTTC firmwares had an option on the Setup Wizard for ADSL operation. I would have thought that reconfigured port 4  as well as activating the DSL port. That might give you a flashing DSL light though. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro

Quote from: MisterW
I thought the latest FTTC firmwares had an option on the Setup Wizard for ADSL operation.

It does  Cheesy
Thought it was safest to give the option of installing a firmware for routers with or without USB.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Good thinking, but I seem to recall a thread ( can't find it just now ) that indicated the latest FTTC routers being sent out don't have USB ports. I'm pretty sure we discovered that the firmware didn't mind whether it had USB or not.

npr
Pro

Yes I've used the no USB firmware on a router with USB -- it connected fine.
But it's not something I would suggest -- mainly because I would not wish to get involved in discussing any perceived or user error issues. Wink
kemik
Dabbler

Hi,
What are the commands needed to turn off DHCP please?
Thanks