cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning my router off

Razer
Grafter

Re: Turning my router off

Regarding the cable I have on this BT made extension, I'm not so sure it is actually the cables you mention. I've opened the box on it this morning to have a look and can see that it is 6 core. So I'm wondering now if this isn't so good. There is indeed a very thin slot at the bottom of my standard faceplate. I'm plugging in the phone on a phone extension which is plugged into this master. I would still need the phone on an extension whatever box or faceplate I have at the master, just as I will still need my router on an extension (hard wired or not), whatever faceplate I have.
It was my intention to fit the ADSL faceplate, but I stalled when looking at a couple of different instructions online because they all say 'remove the wires from the faceplate ... attach those wires to ... terminals ... on your new ADSL faceplate'. I stalled because there are no wires on my current faceplate and I thought to myself that surely I should not take the wires from the back of the box. When not really knowing what I'm doing, it's ok for me to follow instructions laid out, but when there is variance from those instructions, in actual, I can't rely on my own unknowing to make a decision in how to adapt those instructions. Unless in my case it really is as simple as just plugging the ADSL faceplate in, but I can't imagine that would be right.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The CW1308 spec. applies to the way a cable is put together, number of twists etc, It can be many numbers of pairs. 2 pair and 3 pair are quite common, 2 pair more so these days. As long as they are pairs that's fine - a Blue pair, an Orange pair and a Green pair.
The wires on the back of the "back-plate" ie the A & B terminal that you showed in the photo, you aren't allowed to touch, just anything connecting to the front plate.
Let me ask you the question about the phone another way and I can then make suggestions based on that and give you precise wiring details if you need them. Question - where would you prefer to have the phone instrument itself and is it corded or cordless?
Razer
Grafter

Ah, right, then it is such a cable, for it does have the blue, orange and green pairs. Thanks for that clarification. Thanks also for confirming that I shouldn't touch the wires in the back of the box. I'm glad for my wariness to do so.
Let me ask you the question about the phone another way and I can then make suggestions based on that and give you precise wiring details if you need them. Question - where would you prefer to have the phone instrument itself and is it corded or cordless?

I appreciate that very much, thank you. I have a cordless and prefer my base unit where it currently is, bolted to the inside back of my desk, relatively out of sight (I don't need direct and immediate access to it for everyday use, but can do so easily when I need to plug it into my router to update its firmware - meaning it also needs to be near my router). This means I have also to have my base unit on the phone extension I'm using, which also runs to and is fixed to the back of the desk.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, a couple of things - ideally keep the modem/router as far away from the DECT base station as reasonably practical, and likewise the handset or any mobile. It may not actually give you any problems. Some modem/routers are more susceptible to RF interference, and some DECTs chuck out loads of garbage that upsets modem/routers, a bit of trial and error. Sometimes double filtering of a base station helps if there are problems.
Which filtered faceplate is it you've got, is it the ADSL v1.0 ? Can we have a picture of the back of it, as there are 2 versions (at least).
Razer
Grafter

Thanks for that advice. Re: mobiles, I have to keep one away from my desk as it causes my speakers to pick up that annoying beep/buzzing you get from mobiles (I would guess because most of the time it can only connect via 2G). My other mobile (always 3G/H+ connection) doesn't cause it at all, so tends to sit on the desk, right next to my router. EEK. I guess I shall have to move that one too. Re: My dect base. I have it set on the "Eco mode" which reduces the radiation of the base and the handset by 80%. It hadn't even entered my head about it possibly interfering with the router; I had been more concerned with it interfering with my wifi tethering with my mobile (which it didn't). As soon as I got the line and BB enabled I switched off my wifi tethering and completely forgot about the base station. I don't know how susceptible the Techni"color" modem is to interference. Hopefully not very. The best I can do for now is the DECT base under my desk, left side, bolted to the back as said, and the router is on the shelf atop my desk, right side. I just hope it's enough. They're about a meter apart with two pieces of MDF type material in between.
Re: ADSL faceplate. I haven't even bought one yet. I'd checked the current faceplate & box first to make sure all was in order and looked like the instructions I've seen. If it was and I was sure I could do it, I was then going to buy one from Clarity or Adslnation and fit it (intending to simply plug my ADSL extension into it, as mentioned); but with no wiring attached to my current faceplate, that threw me. So if I get one, pre-filtered for the phone, can I simply attach it like my current faceplate and either plug my ADSL extension into it, or hardwire the ADSL extension onto the AB slots?
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't bother with a filtered faceplate, otherwise you are going to need two lots of wires! What's the socket on the end of the ADSL extension is an RJ11/RJ45 or a standard BT socket? Do you have an IDC tool (disposable or otherwise)? 
Razer
Grafter

I can plug both RJ11 and RJ45 into the socket. I don't have an IDC tool, last I had a problem with the extension (wire snapped right at the fixing point) I re-cut it and, using the end of a slotted mini screwdriver, carefully pushed it down so the grips bit into the wire (hey, it was an emergency, broadband down, no time to wait for an IDC tool to come in the post). It ran with no problem after that.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, the cheapest option is to buy a standard 86x86mm Secondary socket and surface box from Amazon or eBay (watch for postage costs),  you should pay no more than ~ £2-£3, or from any local store that does them that cheap, and fit that next to your desk using your CW1308 cable hard wired to terminals 2 & 5 on the NTE5a faceplate and the extension socket (Blue+white trace on 2, White+blue trace on 5) and use your rat's tail Microfilter that looks like this.
If you want a slightly neater solution and want to spend money, buy the Filtered Extension socket here (and a disposable IDC tool from the tools page) and use that instead of a Secondary socket.
Or if you want a slightly better cheap IDC tool there is this one.
Razer
Grafter

Now then, I like the solution with the Filtered Extension socket. I hadn't realised I could get the full socket. Does it really matter technically if I got an 85 or 68? I'd prefer the smaller one. Thanks for the Amazon link to the IDC tool, too; it's a good price. When it comes to cabling, I'm thinking if I can get a better cable. Is there one you could recommend which is better shielded, and if so, what size cable clips would be required? (I presume adsl nation's cable pricing is per metre.)
Anotherone
Champion

Can't see any problem with the 68 size. I think 3.5mm clips will do for your cable, but check that out at a local hardware shop, you may need 4mm  Wink
There really is no point in "better" cabling for ADSL. None of the standard cables are shielded and to be quite honest in your situation I would think it a total waste. Such cables tend to be a lot bulkier and whether you could get one with a White shealth is also debatable.
Remember this is a two pair CW1308 cable and is priced per metre but is technically no better than what you've got, and you'd want the 3.5mm clips.
Razer
Grafter

OK, great. Thanks very much for all of your advice.