Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn interleaving on

zen135
Dabbler

Turn interleaving on

Hi
Could you please turn interleaving back on my line? I had it turned off a few months ago, but the line doesn't seem to be very stable these days.
Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Turn interleaving on

I'll set it to 'auto' that way we have a little more control over it in future.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zen135
Dabbler

Okay, that sounds good.
Thanks for your prompt help.
Chris
Legend

That order has completed so interleaving should turn on if the line detects it's needed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What are the line stats like?
See the speed issues thread - link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

The line is really good from our point of view:
http://community.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image14382564748978.png
Loop Loss:    7.5 
SNR Margin:    4.1 
Speed:  1039  22665 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Chris,
Indeed - what is the target SNRM though?
Assuming that there is no user side (router) tweaking, if its 6dB then there is 1.9bB of noise at present compared to that 26 days ago (or whenever) at the last resynch, or if its 3dB then there is 1.1 dB less noise.
At an attenuation of 7dB at a SNRM of 6dB this line ought to be darned close to 24Mbps.  Something is a little squiffy, albeit far more attractive than my very stable 50dB line.  Grin

@ABee,
Given 26 days continuous connect and 22.6Mbps, how to you perceive...
Quote from: ABee
the line doesn't seem to be very stable these days.

?Huh
The line looks good - no disconnections (the usual perception of instability) - and a decent synch rate.
It could well be that you have a different issue - possibly a local WiFi issue, the resolution of which is a completely different issue.  Similarly exchange congestion in the evening can cause buffering and delays when streaming TV / video.  We really need to obtain clarity over what you mean by "instability" as you do not have the "classic" symptoms of "instability".  Accepting that in an ideal world a bit more synch could be squeezed out of your line, unless you are seeing high CRC or HEC errors, interleaving is unlikely to help here and we ought to be looking elsewhere for solutions.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

The target is 6db.
I've turned interleaving to 'auto' as we have a bit more control over it, meaning we can make more 'on-the-fly' changes than having to place modify orders all the time.
cedlor
Grafter

Hi Chris - I dont want to hijack this thread but can you explain a little more about "auto" interleaving.
Is it really auto or does it require manual intervention.
I have a rein problem and I believe that interleaving would help during the rein Mon - Fri 9 til 6
BUT I dont have interleaving so that I gain a little when Rein is not present - evenings and weekends.
So would  the "auto" interleaving  kick in as the CRCs rise in the morning then drop out  in the evening when
the rate of CRCs fall. - How quick does it respond to the change. The rein causes a drop of around 4Db on the RX Noise margin.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi cedlor,
Auto interleaving does have to be turned on by us placing an order (1 working day lead time).
It works by applying interleaving when changes to line quality are detected, however it would only turn off again if the line improves again and can take a number of days to do so or if we were to place another order to remove or change interleaving permissions.
Let us know if you want to give it a try.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cedlor
Grafter

Hi - Adam - may have mis understood my query  -  I understand that to switch interleaving on or off can take a day- once it it is switched on AND set to Auto
From what Chris seemed to say once on auto it switches on and off?
What does the Auto relate to ?  errors ? line speed? drops? noisemargin?  or something else and how quick is it to change.
In my case it would need to change quickly to be of any benefit. as the rein is on 10 hours then off 14 hours.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

What does the Auto relate to ?  errors ? line speed? drops? noisemargin?  or something else and how quick is it to change

It works by applying interleaving when changes to line quality are detected, however it would only turn off again if the line improves again and can take a number of days to do so or if we were to place another order to remove or change interleaving permissions.

Don't believe I misunderstood you but I take your reply as wanting to know more. Grin
But if you wanted to know specifically it's a combination of drops and errors that determine ILQ (indicative line quality)... For example there's 7 levels of this ranging from Green  (at the "good end) which leads to positive DLM changes, decreases SNR, removes any "banding" etc.
at the other end there's black which does the reverse if ILQ lowers and the connection is dropping.
As to how often this takes effect, that depends on how bad things are, if it is it can be an hour or so. If less significant then up to 48 hours.
As we can turn this on and off I'd say you have nothing to lose by seeing if it works for you.
Please take a look here at Kitz's excellent website if you wanted to learn more:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm
As for how quickly this is applied,
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team