Did you mean: 

Trying to understand Max...

Stef
Grafter

Trying to understand Max...

I got upgraded just over 14 days ago...
Today (Sat Morning) I can see the following:
* My ADSL modem is syncd at 6000k
* My Account/Connection Settings shows 3000k (Is this the BRAS value?)
* Throughput (as measured by two different tools) is about 1800k (Which is less than when I was on 2MB which 12 mths ago typically reported 1900k)
Doh?
What is likely to change over the next few days/weeks, Will I see higher throughputs?
Might the BRAS increase given my sync speed is currently twice the BRAS speed? (Assuming the above 3000k figure is actually the BRAS figure?)
Ta, Stef
ps Upstream throughput is 40% higher at 320k ish
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Trying to understand Max...

What is likely to change over the next few days/weeks, Will I see higher throughputs?
Might the BRAS increase given my sync speed is currently twice the BRAS speed? (Assuming the above 3000k figure is actually the BRAS figure?)

You should do, provided you stay in sync at 6mb for 3 days straight (any drops/syncing at a lower speed will prevent the profile being uplifted).
Hope this helps,
Stef
Grafter

That's quite interesting. So the My Account/Connection/HS Brodband figure, *is* the (current) BRAS figure.
(Altough I am syncd nice n' steady at 6000k for most of today, during the training period the sync speed was mostly around 3000k so to have an initial BRAS of 3000k would not be unexpected I suppose). So effectively I have an 'up to' 3Mb service at the mo where the 'up to' may increase if the sync speed stays high and steady...
[Actually my BB modem is currently connected to a rather cruddily wired extension quite some way from the master socket. This 'moving average BRAS' thing means that if I were to experiment and locate my modem on the master socket, I may see my 'up to' speed increase over a number of days if I understand this correctly...]
I might just try that experiment...
Thanks,
The mysterious clouds of 'ADSL Max' are starting to disperse...  Cheesy
samuria
Grafter

I think you have got it about right the BRAs profile is the bandwidth BT assign to you so even if you connect at 8 meg you still gets the bras 3 meg until you have synced at a higher speed for 3 days.
Dont forget if you experiment and reconnect a lot BT can think you have a problem and the bras may drop.
Stef
Grafter

Woo hoo, got a BRAS of 5000k today... Actually my BRAS today is higher than today's sync speed (4500k)...
Seems weird that the sync speed can vary so wildly from day-to-day I wonder why this is?
Sync speed was typically around 3000k during training (Though the highest I noted during training was 5000k), 6000k all day yesterday (and stable) and today 4500k... Why does sync speed seem to vary so much on a day-to-day basis?
Regards, Stef (Still trying to understand Max better...)
Stef
Grafter

Investigating my router info it tells me that I currently have a S/N Ratio of 9.5 and a loop attenuation of 22.
Are these figures: Good/bad/Average?
Could you point me to a good article or thread about the factors that influence S/N Ratio?
ta, Stef
James
Grafter

Those figures are good.
Does this article that I wrote help you at all?
Stef
Grafter

Thanks,
Just out of curiosity I'll move my modem/router later today to the master socket and see what it does to the figures...