cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get the most speed out of my Fibre?

anthgood
Grafter

Trying to get the most speed out of my Fibre?

This is my 7th day of owning Plusnet Fibre. On the BTwholesale it says I can get between 43mb/s and 61 mb/s. On installation the Openreach technician said my line was going to get 43mb/s.
I read all about the 10 days DLM and was hoping this would increase. For the first 48 hours it was. On the end of day 2 I was getting 54mb/s and 15ms ping and was quite pleased.
Now for the last 4 days it has dropped. And keeps dropping it is now 37mb/s and I am getting 30ms ping.
I am paying for the 76mb/s Fibre service so it annoys me immensely that I am getting the 38mb/s speeds and also that my ping has went to the same it was with DSL.
So I am trying to see what I can possibly do to get my DLM to increase this.
So I have bought a new cable to connect between my Openreach modem and the Face plate.
I have moved my router closer to the modem and bought a CAT6 Shielded cable. And I have shelled out £100 for a Asus AC56 router.
Are there other things I can do. I have a phone extension cable coming from the faceplate to upstairs. There is conflicting info if this will affect Fibre speeds or not.
Do I need a filter on that extension?
Would changing the extension cable from regular twisted pair phone cable to CAT5e and using this for the phone improve things?
How about changing the openreach modem - there is conflicting reports saying the Huawei HG612 when flashed with custom firmware is a better modem than the ECI modem the open reach technician gave me.
Is there anything else I am forgetting.
I want the most every last drop I can get from this fibre connection. I am not someone who cares about it will only increase your speeds by 1meg that people often say when you do things.
19 REPLIES 19
swatboy79
Dabbler

Re: Trying to get the most speed out of my Fibre?

My 2c worth - Few tips to keep things as simple as possible:
1) Get a better modem first off, the Billion 8800NL is very very good and gives higher speeds than the Openreach modem did and gives you line stats too.
2) The engineer should have put a new filtered face plate which means the telephone and extension line is filtered from the master stocket and you do not require any microfilters. (if it has been done right - make sure it has)
3) Try use cordless phones if you can and get rid of any extension leads from the master stocket.
4) Using a very high quality RJ11 cable may help if yours isn't very good but you will find this is least of your issues, but is worth checking out.
5) Sort these things out first so you know you have a nice clean setup on your side. After all this is VDSL we are talking about and not fibre infact, VDSL is heavly effected by crosstalk.
(http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/category/crosstalk-and-vectoring)
Give it some time to settled down and try not to unplug your modem as it could just make things worse. Sort out what you can if it makes you happier.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

on point 3 - use you try to use cordless phones, i assume you mean DECT. don't those play havoc with WIFI? usually the advice is to avoid DECT if at all possible?
anthgood
Grafter

Quote from: swatboy79
1) Get a better modem first off, the Billion 8800NL is very very good and gives higher speeds than the Openreach modem did and gives you line stats too.

Searching for this it mentions this is a router and not a modem.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/18474-billion-bipac-8800nl/
"Billion BiPAC 8800NL Dual-WAN ADSL2+/VDSL2 Fibre Wireless-N Router (300Mbps)"
Are you sure this is the replacement for the BT openreach modem and not the replacement for the Thompson pile of rubbish router that you are referring to.
If its the replacement for the router like I say I have bought an Asus AC56u router which from all websites it is regarded as the best you can get.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: chenks76
DECT. don't those play havoc with WIFI?

I have DECT phones in the house and WiFi works fine for me as I'm sure it does for many others.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
anthgood
Grafter

on point 3 - use you try to use cordless phones, i assume you mean DECT. don't those play havoc with WIFI? usually the advice is to avoid DECT if at all possible?

Can someone from plusnet confirm 100% yes or no on whether extension cables from the master sockets affect fibre.
I say this as I have been recommended the same as the first replier said to do. But on google searching I have seen this only applies for DSL and not fibre connections.
I ask as I really don't want to remove my phone extension as we need the phones upstairs. But at the same time I want the most out of this fibre speeds so if it is knocking considerable speed off my line I will have to do it.
swatboy79
Dabbler

My wifi runs like a champ (2.4 and 5GHz) always has. I really don't get the beef with dect phones.
The world is full of devices, I have microwave and 6 Dect phones in my house all on the same specific frequency and behaves itself  (you will find the microwave is the noisy one :D).
Other wifi AP's will cause WAY more interference and choosing channels wisley is key.
Dect phones (qood quality ones i am speaking for - Panasonic) will be on a specific frequncy and quite clean and controlled.
You don't need silly phone extensions mucking up your internet.
Choose your channels wisely and there will be no issues (Use andriod app wifi scanner to check where neighbours are)
swatboy79
Dabbler

Quote from: anthgood

Searching for this it mentions this is a router and not a modem.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/18474-billion-bipac-8800nl/
"Billion BiPAC 8800NL Dual-WAN ADSL2+/VDSL2 Fibre Wireless-N Router (300Mbps)"
Are you sure this is the replacement for the BT openreach modem and not the replacement for the Thompson pile of rubbish router that you are referring to.
If its the replacement for the router like I say I have bought an Asus AC56u router which from all websites it is regarded as the best you can get.

It is a VDSL2 modem (thats what FTTC) is. I am using one. It is a Modem/Router.
I use the RJ11 Cable conneced to the Phone socket and then the one and only Gigabit port is connected to my houses infractructure (various switches and AP)
swatboy79
Dabbler

Quote from: anthgood

Can someone from plusnet confirm 100% yes or no on whether extension cables from the master sockets affect fibre.
I say this as I have been recommended the same as the first replier said to do. But on google searching I have seen this only applies for DSL and not fibre connections.
I ask as I really don't want to remove my phone extension as we need the phones upstairs. But at the same time I want the most out of this fibre speeds so if it is knocking considerable speed off my line I will have to do it.

anthgood, you do release that you do not actually have Fibre it is VDSL? You have FTTC which means the last bit of copper which you always have is doing the job of your internet, just like your ADSL2+ did before that and so on.
As long as you have copper entering the house, you will have the same rules as you always did..
chenks76
All Star

My wifi runs like a champ (2.4 and 5GHz) always has. I really don't get the beef with dect phones.
The world is full of devices, I have microwave and 6 Dect phones in my house all on the same specific frequency and behaves itself  (you will find the microwave is the noisy one :D).

indeed, but DECT uses 2.4GHz doesn't it? which is what WIFI uses as well (unless you're one of the few using 5GHz).
in an already congested spectrum, why purposely add another device in your home that could potentially cause problems.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

swatboy79
Dabbler

indeed, but DECT uses 2.4GHz doesn't it? which is what WIFI uses as well (unless you're one of the few using 5GHz).
in an already congested spectrum, why purposely add another device in your home that could potentially cause problems.

Trust me, your neighbours wifi AP channel selection will have far more impact. I can't say anymore.
chenks76
All Star

i'm not disputing that surrounding AP's have an impact.
all i'm saying is why potentially add a problem thru choice.
i quickly looked at various DECT phones on argos (including Panasonic) and they all stated 2.4GHz.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I had a quick look on Argos and couldn't find that
However for Panasonic http://eng.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11025/~/dect-phone-frequency-information.
DECT phone frequency Information.
UK DECT works on frequencies 1.88 - 1.9 Ghz.
Wireless networks are on 2.4 Ghz so the UK DECT phones do not interfere with wireless networks.
There can be problems in the USA  (USA Models) where the cordless phones can use the same frequencies as the wireless networks (2.4GHz).
chenks76
All Star