cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True Unlimited Broadband

brainthee

True Unlimited Broadband

Hey All,
I wanna put this out there and see what your thoughts are.
What would it take for Plusnet (and other ISPs) to offer truly unlimited bandwidth? I'm well aware of the technicalities of the kit needed for ISP's and networks in general. It's just (ha, just) making sure the network is load balanced enough for the increased throughput. The other thought is do PN pay for their upstream link on throughput? I.e. the more that goes through it the more you have to pay? I know this used to be done but never really made sense to me. I just saw it as another "business" decision that held back progress.
So is it more policy/politics or is it truly the technical side which is holding you back?
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: True Unlimited Broadband

PN have to pay for the bandwidth that we use
David_W
Rising Star

LLU, PN has to pay BT for the bandwidth, LLU providers don't have this issue as they own the hardware.  There are ISP's (at least one that I know of) who offer unlimited and unthrottled service but to get that on a BT line would probably cost you a large fortune every month.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: brainthee
...So is it more policy/politics or is it truly the technical side which is holding you back?

People willing to pay for the amount they use is the problem as I see it.
Even with the current products it is possible to have a 'unlimited' 'unrestricted' (Pro add on) service. The price however is too high for most people to stomach. I think if Plusnet offered it at £9.99 they would have a lots of happy people and they would be financially broke in no time at all.