Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles with passwords to Download emails to Thunderbird

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Troubles with passwords to Download emails to Thunderbird

I’ve been resetting up my Mozilla Thunderbird email program today. This involved the creation of accounts to parallel the similarly named Plusnet mailboxes.
Each request for a password to download mail in a Plusnet mailbox has been successful and the mail has indeed downloaded.
That is with the exception of one Thunderbird account and Plusnet mailbox. In that case even though I input the correct password it keeps getting rejected. I have even edited the Plusnet settings and overwritten the old password, albeit with the same one, in case that jogged the system, but the password is still failing.
I am completely stumped and would be glad of any helpful suggestion. Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
13 REPLIES 13
hadden
Grafter

Re: Troubles with passwords to Download emails to Thunderbird

You can view the current passwords against each account in Thunderbird if you go to:
Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Passwords -> Edit Saved Passwords -> Show Passwords
(at least that's the sequence of selections in Thunderbird 2.0.16).
If one is being a bit 'sticky' at changing, then maybe you could remove it from the list and try again?
Luzern
Hero

Thanks for that reply Smiley It was something I hadn't picked up. However even though I had and did again this morning enter the password and use the save option, the word for the account in question does not appear in TB password manager.
In any case even if I did not ask for TB's password manager to remember it, I'd've thought it was PN that would have to validate the word. To me that points to something at the PN end. Of that I am even more convinced as not only did I make several attempts, even resetting the word in PN, but also re-entered the account in to TB after I wrote my OP with no different outcome. Cry
BTW I can send from address with no trouble.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
hadden
Grafter

How about trying to login to that mailbox using webmail?
That would bypass any Thunderbird involvement?
Luzern
Hero

I can see no way I can do that from my Web (Squirrel) mail screen. There's something funny going on there too. It took three attempts to log in as the user and password were thrown out twice. On the webmail side that happened once early last week.
Luzern
Hero

I'm completely flummoxed and defeated Cry Cry Cry Nothing seems to work. In desperation I have completely wiped any evidence of Thunderbird from the computer and done several sweeps with a registry cleaner[. After that I did a clean install. Input all the accounts' details. Again all but this one account permit me to download the mail /color]
[color=purple]What the dickens else can I do other than what I have both in TB and PN?
hadden
Grafter

Sorry if you already know, but the name on SquirrelMail for accessing a particular mailbox is the same as in Thunderbird, ie 'username'+'mailboxname'.
Luzern
Hero

Embarrassed silly me! It was just that somehow I did not associate web mail with pop3.
Luzern
Hero

In the end I decided to remove the mailbox from PN and then enter it again. Bliss! Still puzzled though as I had entered details so many times that one should've worked. Anything to do with using QWERTY or number pad for numeral part of password? Had similar trouble with stored password when going in to webmail.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did I see you say somewhere recently that you could look at mails without opening them with thunderbird, I cant find out how to do that, can you explain please
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
...look at mails without opening them with thunderbird...

I referred to using Plusnet webmail here. Is that what you mean?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no it was the security, someone said he could look at emails without opening them, I can do that with OE and properties, but I thought they said with Thunderbird Undecided
hadden
Grafter

I haven't used OE in years, but I suppose the "properties" that are displayed will just be a selection of the items from the email header.
In Thunderbird, if you dodn't have the message pane visible, then the email message is not going to be displayed when you select it.
Then if you click on the email to select it and and choose the menu selection View - Message Source,  you will see the raw email headers, including the "properties" and everything else.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes that worked, Variable menus  Undecided