Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with mumble

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Trouble with mumble

TS should be ok Rodtrotter.  Get us a wireshark to have a look?
reetpetite:  Ok, so mumble isn't being identified correctly, BUT looking at your wireshark, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your download packets. Their RTT all looks fine and the queues that the mumble traffic is dropping into looks fine.
It sounds like something wrong with your upload datastream though.  I'm checking a bit further.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
reetpetite
Grafter

yeah its definitely upstream, because everyone sounds crystal clear to me. even dudes in australia at 1800 in the evening. which is all the more frustrating ..  Smiley
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: reetpetite
Uptime: 0 days, 0:29:41
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 65,312 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,281 / 158
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 363

That's a lot of CRC errors on the upstream for an uptime of just under 30 minutes. Could that be the cause?
reetpetite
Grafter

Its just the router firmware mate. Its always been like that (for two years), sometimes in to the millions without any perceptible impact on network service or packet send/receive quality.
Kelly
Hero

How was comms last night?
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

aaand.. last night?
Kelly Dorset
reetpetite
Grafter

dunno mate I havent bothered trying. now I know you've zigged the zag I will get on ..
feedback imminent
reetpetite
Grafter

Ok now its much worse!  Cheesy
It had been more or less fine for over a year until you got reset recently.
I am now getting interruptions in the downstream as well, so its incomprehensible and I am incomprehensible to others.
I am lagging so badly logging in takes 10 seconds and moving between channels (which is usually instant) takes 10 seconds or more.
The server seems to default to UDP and switch to TCP under duress.
Whatever you changed made it 10x worse alas.
New wireshark: http://www.mediafire.com/?yu51ukc2m77ds9w
Pingplotter attached too (lol)
BTW I totally appreciate your efforts.
You know how it is with Eve, if you aren't on coms you can't contribute.  Undecided
Not wanting to be an arse about it, but this is pretty much the cornerstone of all my internet activity.  Cry
Any chance you could share some of the technical gubbins? I mean, QOS and packet management should comprehensivly tackle this issue right? You just need to get your filters to prioritize mumble etc?
But if it was as simple as setting up a definition, you'd have fixed it already .. so what gives? I'm genuinely interested hehe. I am guessing it is something to do with the relationship between plus and BT?
I was under the impression that plusnet is an ISP aimed at casual/low impact users so there shouldn't be a business reason why this is happening?
Kelly
Hero

Well, I think you might have something more sinister going on here.  You are currently on the Pro profile, so you aren't see any traffic management at all (beyond protection of your traffic).      You can test this by trying to download something from p2p or similar at peak tonight.  (please do to verify there is nothing else going on).
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Well, you were on the pro profile for a couple of hours... and then billing ran and reset you!  Embarrassed Try again tonight.  We've put you back onto Pro.
Kelly Dorset
reetpetite
Grafter

I'll give it a go today and let you know how it works out.
reetpetite
Grafter

Yeah was much better!
Quick log in and audio quality much improved.
It seems that mumble/ts works great with this 'pro' profile and not at all with whatever I was on before. Hehe.
So is this a case of you troubleshooting what causes the non pro-profile to make voip unusable, or am I going to be allowed to continue enjoying great coms?  Cheesy
Kelly
Hero

Damn.  That means it's something to do with Mumble being affected by the traffic management system 😕
Kelly Dorset
reetpetite
Grafter

Ok sat down to play some eve today and bam. Back to square one.
Kelly
Hero

😕
Same issue as before (upstream not right?)  Did it fix itself or stay bad all day?  When did it go wrong?
I'm digging.
Kelly Dorset