cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Technicolor TG582n router and Panasonic tv

amusedpenguin

Trouble with Technicolor TG582n router and Panasonic tv

I have just moved into a house and signed up with plusnet and got a new TG582n router. I also have a new Panasonic Viera Tx-42ST60B television. I have discovered through numerous tests that these two don't seem to like each other.
When I have turn the television on, moments later, the internet seems to drop out. The broadband and the wifi work and I can connect to the router on my pc, but the internet light goes red and I cannot get access to the internet. Once I turn the television off the internet comes back moments later, sometimes it doesn't seem to come back and I have had to restart the router, but more times the internet has come almost straight back.
I have even got the tv to go to a different wifi network, but it still has the same issue. Even when connected to another network entirely it still seems to kill the internet connection on my home network. This is particularly annoying as I cannot effectively use my Playstation 3 online.  I understand the Panasonic can act as it's own wireless access point so was wondering if this might be what is having an effect.
I have heard this is a known issue but can't find specific instructions for my particular set of hardware. I saw something about changing the interface settings which apparently worked, but this seems to be on a different router.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
14 REPLIES 14
rjh321

Re: Trouble with Technicolor TG582n router and Panasonic tv

I think you'll find that your plasma TV is emitting a large amount of Radio Frequency Interference. This seems to be fairly common, particularly with Panasonic ones, although perhaps more people have Panasonic plasma TVs than any other make.  It should be possible to improve matters by altering the wiring used for the broadband.  Perhaps you have flat, untwisted wiring in some places. Try better quality twisted-pair wiring.  I would also check that your phone sockets are up to scratch and try temporarily running a decent twisted-pair cable directly from the test socket on the BT master socket to the router, which would eliminate the house phone wiring from the equation.
amusedpenguin

It's a fairly new house. How the hell am I supposed to go about changing the phone wiring anyway?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the router plugged in to the BT master socket (with the removable lower half)? Are there other sockets?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
amusedpenguin

We're fairly sure it's the master socket. All the other phone lines in the house don't seem to be wired up. As I say, new house. Still kind of finding out what works and what doesn't. But yeah, I'm very sure it's the master socket.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you remove the lower half you will find the test socket inside - plug the filter in to that. You should then find all the other sockets in the house are dead. See how you get on running it like that and report back.
Edit: There will probably be wires attached to the back of the removable part - they go to the other sockets.
amusedpenguin

I am currently plugged into the test socket with the internet working and the TV on. How come this works and yet if I go to the master socket the internet still dies on me. And is there any way to sort it out?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That points to a problem with the internal wiring!
Would permanently using the test socket be an issue?
amusedpenguin

Yes it would be audit doesn't look particularly neat, tidy or safe with little wires attached to a front hanging off at a jaunty angle. What is so different about the internal wiring to the test socket and why is my telly having an effect over this?
tonycollinet
Grafter

Sounds like what is happening:
I'm guessing one of your phone extensions must go past the tv and is picking up interference from the TV. It goes back to the master socket, and is connected there to your phone line. When you remove the master socket front, this extension is disconnected from the phone line and the interference no longer gets onto the phone line.
If you have a phone extension wire near the tv, see if  you can trace it back to the master socket and disconnect it (It will be one of the sets of wires connected to the front plate.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you confirm that there are wires connected to the back of the removable lower half. If they are they will probably be picking up interference from the television.
You could get hold of a filtered faceplate which is actually tidier than using a dangly filter.

It plugs in to the test socket and then you plug the existing face plate in to that
When installed it looks like this:

The router plugs straight in to the top socket and the phone in to the lower.
You don't have to do any rewiring to install it.
amusedpenguin

There are definitely wires attached to the master socket front plate but when we checked the two phone sockets around the house (indeed one in the living room near the tv) we couldn't get a dial tone from either of them. I will double check this again tomorrow but we were fairly sure that they didn't seem to be wired in at least to those sockets.
That faceplate sounds like a very nice simple option and could be a potential fix.
amusedpenguin

Just wanting to confirm, an ADSL faceplate filter will run off the test socket and so avoid any of my internal wiring issues as well as filtering without need for a dangly filter? Is that the case? The important bit being that it is plugged into the test socket. I just wanted to check because I haven't seen that yet in my quick search myself.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Not necessarily. The filter is primarily designed to separate frequencies used by voice calls from those used by ADSL. It might solve the interference problem - or it might not block it at all. But it's a good thing to have anyway - so worth trying.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: amusedpenguin
There are definitely wires attached to the master socket front plate but when we checked the two phone sockets around the house (indeed one in the living room near the tv) we couldn't get a dial tone from either of them. I will double check this again tomorrow but we were fairly sure that they didn't seem to be wired in at least to those sockets.

Was that with the master socket front plate removed? If so that is how it is supposed to be. If they still don't work with the master socket front plate replaced it tells us that they are definitely wired up incorrectly. If that is the case and you have no need of the extension sockets I suggest that you remove the wires from the back of the small front plate, coil them up neatly and push them well out of the way before trying replacing the front plate. There would be a good chance that it will work with the faulty wiring disconnected.