cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Instagram / Twitter on WiFi with Mobile Phone

autumnsprau

Trouble with Instagram / Twitter on WiFi with Mobile Phone

Over the past few weeks my wife and I have noticed a significant slowdown of Instagram and Twitter when using the apps on our mobile devices via Plusnet wifi. Often they don't work at all and I can wait several minutes for images to load.

This affects two iPhones, an Android Pixel 6 and an iPad Pro so it's definitely not limited to one device type. If we turn off wifi on the devices and use 4G (Three) instead then both Instagram and Twitter can be used perfectly well. When the WiFi is turned back on again they both slow down to unusable speeds. Both our desktop machines can access Instagram and Twitter on WiFi with no slowdown. I have tried restarting the router a number of times.

Does anyone know why the phone apps are so much slower on WiFi than on 4G?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Trouble with Instagram / Twitter on WiFi with Mobile Phone

@autumnsprau  Welcome to the forum.

Whic Plusnet hub have you got? If it's a Hub one then try separating the bands, see here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Once that you have done this go in to the phone available wireless networks page, where you will now see the two SSIDs. Try each in turn and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

autumnsprau

Re: Trouble with Instagram / Twitter on WiFi with Mobile Phone

Thank you @Baldrick1 for taking the time to reply. I have done what you suggested and will report back tomorrow when I've had a chance to see if there has been any improvement Smiley