cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble setting up Game and application sharing (port forwarding) on TG528n

termcap

Trouble setting up Game and application sharing (port forwarding) on TG528n

I recently received the PlusNet TG528n (firmware version 8.C.M.0) and am having trouble setting up port forwarding.  I have followed the instructions - selected "Assign a game or application to a local network device", picked the service on the drop-down menu and then tried to set a User-defined IP address.  After clicking Add the device goes back the name/mac-address (Unknown-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX) of the wireless repeater I happen to be connected via, NOT the IP address I entered.  I have tried setting up by connecting directly through a wired connection but exactly the same thing happens.  Is there some other magic to get this to work or is this a bug in the firmware.
If I wanted to try upgrading the firmware, where might I get a stable alternative and how do I upgrade?  Do I lose all my settings if I upgrade?
5 REPLIES 5
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Trouble setting up Game and application sharing (port forwarding) on TG528n

The 585 behaves in the same manner i.e. if you enter a custom IP address and it happens to have a MAC entry for it (or rather that of a repeater/bridge it sits behind[1]) then that's what it displays.
However, and this is the pertinent point - it doesn't matter. Forwarding, or rather Port Address Translation, is done at Layers 3 and 4, i.e. by IP address and transport port number, and so regardless of what the GUI interface might display (the MAC address of the repeater rather than the IP address of the client device) the IP address is still recorded and used behind the scenes.
Have you actually tried to see if it does work?
To verify the correct data is indeed captured/used if you telnet into the router (and I am assuming the command sets are the same on the 585/582) and enter the command nat maplist expand=enabled you will see, amongst other entries, your static port forwards e.g. this one for my port 80:
4 NAPT Internet        87.112.166.188:80              192.168.1.36:80                0
                        Access List................... any
                        Foreign Address............... any
                        Protocol...................... tcp
                        Flags......................... Dynamic instance, created by service
                        Weight........................ 50
                        Description................... Inbound port shift
                        Creator Data.................. 0

Note the use of IP addresses rather than MAC addresses, despite what the GUI might otherwise show.
Mathew
termcap

Thanks for that - that clarifies things.  I know, I should have tested it before posting.  Now I have tested and indeed it seems to be working.  In fact, when I set it up it has decided to display the MAC address of my laptop rather than the repeater this time.  Tested it using ShieldsUp custom port probe and it seems to be getting through the the right place.
As an aside: I think the UI on this router is a little non-intuitive (case above in point) and restrictive in what it makes available.  E.g. I'd like a UI for setting the DHCP address range.  I guess I can do that via the telnet interface as I had to do to set up OpenDNS DNS servers.  I'd also like to restrict wireless access based on the MAC addresses of known/trusted devices but that doesn't seem to be available.  Having wireless users to 'register' via a login screen is a nuisance and doesn't work for all device types.
MJN
Pro

Indeed, I've always found the 585 to be rather non-intuitive with a very convoluted user interface. Regarding the DHCP range, I'm sure the range is customisable although I do recall that the setting wasn't where I expected it to be (again on the 585 but perhaps the 582 is the same).
BTW, I updated my post above whilst you were typing yours and have included a means to verify that the port forward is indeed being done by IP address despite what the GUI might otherwise suggest.
Mathew
termcap

That's very useful.  I can see that the port I'm interested in is being directed to the correct IP address.  Thanks for the info!
Curious also to see port 51005 being directed to localhost (router itself).
MJN
Pro

It looks like 51005 is used by the 'CPE WAN Management Protocol'. I'm not familiar with it, but it appears to be a/the mechanism by which an ISP can modify settings on the router to faciliate connection setup?
Mathew