Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble installing new router

glynandbex
Dabbler

Trouble installing new router

Hi community Smiley
I've been attempting to install a new router to use for our home broadband connection but I'm having a few problems with the settings to get the thing connected to the internet.
When selecting the internet connection type, the options are:
Static IP
Dynamic IP (DHCP)
PPPoE
PPTP
L2TP
The only information I could find about setting up one's own modem told me I had to use PPPoA as my connection type. Is this correct? And does this mean that my router is incompatible? And if so, is there any way around this?
I'd be most grateful for any help Smiley
14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Trouble installing new router

Which model router is it? Does it have a built in modem?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

From looking at your account your on a ADSL connection
Based on those options I suspect its a cable router rather than a ADSL router
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
glynandbex
Dabbler

It's a Samsung CY-SWR1100.
I've connected it through the Technicolor TG582n modem (because no, I don't think it has a built in modem.) I can connect to the Samsung no problem, and the little light actually comes on saying there is internet activity, but alas it's not the case.
glynandbex
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
Based on those options I suspect its a cable router rather than a ADSL router

Does this mean the router definitely won't be able to connect to the internet?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It should be able to connect however it isn't a straight forward set up unfortunately
You'll have to put the tg582n into bridged mode first
If you follow the link below you might be able to get it working
http://npr.me.uk/nbridge.html?
Unfortunately its not something we can really assist with but I'm sure other members can help if you need it Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Before going to the trouble of "bridge mode" for the TG582n, you should be able to test by connecting the WAN port to the 582 and setting the Samsung to "DHCP" mode.You will also need to enable DHCP in the Samsung, using a different subnet to the 582n - such as 192.168.44.0 (the 44 can be any number which does not match the 582n). This is the way my set up is configured and works quite well for me.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
glynandbex
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew,
I've put the Technicolor into Bridge mode.
Am I correct in thinking that now I have to wait for Plusnet to assign my router a WAN IP address? I have the new router connecting using PPPoE.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No nothing needs assigning from our end it should just connect if the settings are fine
Do you have the connection mode set to PPPoE?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
glynandbex
Dabbler

I am using PPPoE, yes. My router is saying that the Network Status is Busy, and I don't have an IP Address, DNS Servers, nothing.
To clarify, I have the internet cable provided by Plusnet (plugged into the wall) connected to the Technicolor's 'DSL' port, then a cable connected from LAN 1 on the Technicolor to the 'Internet' port on my Samsung router.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Are you sure the TG582n is properly configured in bridge mode ?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.48.html

When you set up the PPPoE settings on the Samsung, did you enter your full plusnet username including the suffix ?
eg.  plusnetusername@plusdsl.net for most plusnet users.

If you follow PeeGee's earlier suggestion, I think the Samsung has default IP of 192.168.0.1 so you should not need to worry about changing the subnet because the TG582n has IP of 192.168.1.254 so is already on a different subnet to the Samsung.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
glynandbex
Dabbler

I am beginning to think that the TG582n is not properly in bridge mode. Have reset factory settings to try again.
My settings on the Samsung were correct though. Leading me to further suspect the bridge mode issue.
glynandbex
Dabbler

Problem solved!
I suspect the TG582n was not properly put into bridge mode initially and so the Samsung router just couldn't connect to the internet (it COULD connect to the TG582n just couldn't find a gateway!)
For future reference, I reset the TG582n to factory settings, and followed the advice here: http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Uploading-templates-to-a-Technicolor-TG582n-rout... - worked a treat Smiley
Thanks for all your suggestions! Smiley
EDIT: Just as a side note, I also had to change the file transfer setting on FileZilla from Auto to Binary to enable me to transfer the template to the TG582n
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fantastic!
Glad to see that's working for you Smiley
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just as a side note, I also had to change the file transfer setting on FileZilla from Auto to Binary to enable me to transfer the template to the TG582n
That's interesting!. I had a play with templates on the PN TG582n a while ago and I couldn't get it to recognise my uploaded ones. Maybe I'll try again in binary mode...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.