Did you mean: 

Transfering from Metronet to Plusnet

Grahamb
Dabbler

Re: Transfering from Metronet to Plusnet

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Graham,
Nice to "hear" from you again.
There should be absolutely no problem in doing this and it should be quite a smooth transition.
I think someone mentioned something similar the other day.  If you raise a ticket on your Metronet account saying which product specifically that you want, we'll be able to get it sorted for you.

Thanks James....confess I've been very quiet due to the extremely reliable service I've been enjoying with Metronet over recent months.  On the one hand I'm saying to myself "you should stay with what you've got", whilst on the other methinks would be handy to have the allowance 'upped' and the costs reduced...and...the FREE downloads (12 - 8am) is very attractive, especially as I'm quite impressed with BBC's 'iPlayer'  ;).  Think I'd definitely stay with Metronet if that had FREE time the same as.  Don't suppose there is a 'product refresh' around the corner..is there?
Hey-ho..  :-\..I'll think it over for a bit longer before deciding one way or the other....and whilst doing, take a look at others' experiences on here who have already taken the plunge.
Cheers
Graham
Grahamb
Dabbler

Quote from: JonG
From what I've picked up the problem is likely to be low signal to noise ratio (sorry I'm an engineer!). As my disconnections are worse late afternoon and evening when the lines do get noisier and from Metronets 1meg connection Plusnet connects around 3meg. So noise would be more of a problem. Yet BT line tests haven't picked this up?..................

Jon

Hi Jon
On reading your previous post, I confess it set me thinking, but then reading Barry's post he did raise to my mind a valid point.  From your statement above, I assume you were on a fixed '1Meg' connection, and then you mentioned Plunet's '3Meg'...so it seems you were automatically moved across to 'up to 8Meg'.  That certainly could explain the problems you are experiencing if your local connection is pushing the limits at '1Meg'.  I waited quite a while here on Metronet (whilst the dust settled) before deciding to opt for the free 'MAX DSL' upgrade, and it's been a success for me.  All the tests I ran before the move told me my line should be able to handle it, but being an engineer like yourself, I knew the only way to really find out was to try it.  I regularly enjoy download speeds at 4 - 6Meg most times....usually reduces somewhat at busier times of the day, which is to be expected as 'contention' kicks in and traffic increases.
Graham
P.S. should add I'm an ex-engineer now, having retired a few years back  Smiley
paulby
Grafter

My mother-in-law recently moved from MN to PN with absolutely no problem.  She was on Max with MN and got speeds of around 2.5Meg (she's got a long line).  After moving to PN there was no detrimental effect on speed and she still gets her 2.5Meg. 
She also availed herself of PN's home phone package (her main reason for moving as it's not available on MN) and is due to move over this week.
The whole move went smoothly with the dial-up account set up and the various tickets raised one evening and the transfer completed the following morning!
Grahamb
Dabbler

Thanks for the useful feedback Paul_B.
It all helps on the 'confidence buliding' front  Wink
James
Grafter

Hi Jon,
If it helps to allay any concerns, given the fact that you have tried two different routers, changed your filtering and ensured that your optimal wiring is optimal, then you would not be charged for the visit.
I'd be very grateful if you could reraise your fault at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get it sent through to BT for you.
JonG

I can accept the fact the problem lies between my front door and the exchange, maybe S/N ratio linked and that it's because my connection has gone from a fixed 1meg to 3meg.
But surely isn't that the whole idea rate adaptive that it checks so see what the max speed canbe within the bounds of s/n ratio limits and maintaining sync?
Also the BT Voyager 2110 should hand 24Meg so I would assume should handle a lower s/n ratio but this can only maintain my connection for 10-20 seconds.
I've now gone back to my old Asus 8meg modem which will hold the connection for 10-15 minutes so at least I can do email and get some webpages!
I'm just a bit confused why my Asus should out perform the BT voyager?
Anyway! Next job, like now, is to raise a new fault report.
Jon Huh
James
Grafter

Thanks Jon.
Let me know how you get on and I'll help wherever I can.
Is the router supplied by us?
JonG

I sourced my own router in the end incase I decided to bail out due to the fact i've not had a satifactory connection since joining!
James
Grafter

Right, ok!
So both the Asus and the Voyager are yours?
JonG

Yes!
Grahamb
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Graham,
Nice to "hear" from you again.
There should be absolutely no problem in doing this and it should be quite a smooth transition.
I think someone mentioned something similar the other day.  If you raise a ticket on your Metronet account saying which product specifically that you want, we'll be able to get it sorted for you.

Hi James,
Well, I've taken the plunge and requested a transfer across to 'PlusNet'.
I'd very much appreciate your keeping an eye on things, if you'd be so kind...pretty please  ;).
My Metronet Ticket No. is 24006432
Thanks
Graham