cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering from Metronet to Plusnet

baldrick
Grafter

Transfering from Metronet to Plusnet

I am currently on Metronet PayGo Option 1. I pay by BACS. In two years I have never used more than 500 Megs in a month.
I understand that Plusnet Broadband Your Way Option 1 would give me the same 'up to 8 Meg' service plus a free Domain Name and Email Account for £9.99 per month.
Assuming this is correct, how do I change. I have seen various mentions on the forums, some involving MAC codes and others requiring Dial Up accounts. I am a simple soul and want an easy option with the minimum probability of Metronet/PlusNet screwing up. I don't transfer a lot of data but I need continuous service.
I'm sorry if my last point seems disingenuous, it comes from living with Metronet through the 'dark days'!
Also do I need to give up BACS and sign up to a DD?
25 REPLIES 25
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Transfering from Metronet to Plusnet

Quote from: baldrick
I am currently on Metronet PayGo Option 1. I pay by BACS. In two years I have never used more than 500 Megs in a month.
I understand that Plusnet Broadband Your Way Option 1 would give me the same 'up to 8 Meg' service plus a free Domain Name and Email Account for £9.99 per month.

That's right. The free domain offer was only intended for a limited period of time though. It's still available now, I can't remember off the top of my head how long we were running this for. Can find out when I'm back in the office.
Assuming this is correct, how do I change. I have seen various mentions on the forums, some involving MAC codes and others requiring Dial Up accounts. I am a simple soul and want an easy option with the minimum probability of Metronet/PlusNet screwing up. I don't transfer a lot of data but I need continuous service.

First step is to sign up for a free dial up account with PlusNet. Once you've done this you'll need to add payment details to the account here. After adding payment details, raise a query on your Metronet account here. Provide us with the PlusNet username and mention that you've already added payment details to the new account.
Once we've made the switch you'll need to change the username and password you're using to connect to the Internet.
Also do I need to give up BACS and sign up to a DD?

Yes, either that or provide us with credit card information.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

baldrick
Grafter

Thanks Bob,
I've done all that. I now have to wait for the DD to be set up. So far so good!
JonG

So what do you need to do about billing/transfer dates?
I don't want to end up paying both Plusnet and Metronet for a month nor a gap in my service.
Also how long does it take between ordering the new service and being transfered?
Do I just ask Plusnet to tranfer me or do I need to tell metronet to cancel my service?
It'd be good for all the billing and service to switch almost invisibly.
So many questions <G>
Thanks for helping
Jon
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
A rough guide to the current process is as follows:
You will need to signup a free dialup account on PlusNet, and add payment details to it.
You will then need to raise a ticket on your Metronet account, referencing the new PlusNet account and requesting the transfer.
As you pay in advance on PlusNet, and in arrears on Metronet it makes sense for us to make the change on your next billing date, meaning you don't pay twice for any period, however we can make the change whenever you like really (the only stipulation is we need 48 hours or so for a modify order to go through to change your connection realm).
Once the new account has been activated for broadband we'll cancel your Metronet account, and you'll need to change the login name in your router.
Hope that makes sense, I'm sure there are a few people who've moved over who will be able to advise how easy it is. Smiley
baldrick
Grafter

If I can put my two penneth in:
For me it worked quite seamlessly. The trick is to make sure you set up a free dial up account and that your new free email address works. In my case once I was switched over to PN I lost access to all my Metronet tickets so lost contact with what was happening. However PN had contacted me via my new mailbox. This is not a lot of help if you want to get access via broadband but can't because you don't know your new user name.
If you just set up a Direct Debit ie no payment cards, nothing will happen until the DD is set up. This took the best part of a week.
For the record, the missing data I needed to get hold of from the dial up email was that my new broadband username was that I had chosen for the free dial up account @plusdsl.net. The password is the same as for dial up.
One thing to watch for was that I got charged a £40 activation fee. To be fair I did get an immediate apology and promise of a refund from PN. However be prepared if it happens to wait 2 weeks for the refund to arrive.
Do I recommend making the change? In my case, with my usage,  definitely. It might be subjective but I believe I am achieving a higher download speed. Obviously there is also a higher download limit for less money plus free email addresses.
JonG

Hi
Sorry maybe I'm a bit simple or maybe i've just read too many posts around the forums.
I've opened a plusnet dial-up account and added DD info.
Now I need to raise a ticket with Metronet to transfer to plusnet inc. all my plusnet account details. Right?
So do I then need to pick up my MAC and let Plusnet have it?
Do I need to go through the Plusnet links for migrating to plusnet/ ordering broadband etc etc ????
Or is all this done automatically by Metronet doing the transfer to Plusnet?
Also I would like to take advantage of the option 2 wireless router and believe that migrations till the end of the month get a months free subscrition so how would I go about this?
Thanks Jon
James
Grafter

Jon,
You don't need a MAC Code if you are moving from Metronet to PlusNet.
Just let us know what sort of account you want and we'll get it sorted for you.
Grahamb
Dabbler

Hi James
I'm seriously looking at moving over to 'Broadband Your Way' and have registered for the free 'Dial Up Account'.
At the moment I'm thinking about going for 'Option 1' but with a 3Gb allowance.
However, whilst navigating around the 'PlusNet' pages, I've come across a strange anomaly:-
If I don't logon as a customer and click on the 'No option to suit you? Create Broadband Your Way' link, it correctly points to 'http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/preconfigure.shtml?WT.svl=bbyw_preconfigure' and I can choose what I want.
But, if I do logon as a customer and click on the same link, it points to 'http://www.plus.net/upgrade_process.html' and only allows me to select from the fixed options.  I'm not given the opportunity to individually configure each option  Huh  .

I appreciate that as and when I decide to move across (from Metronet) I will raise a ticket on my Metronet account with all the details as advised by Bob and Mand in earlier messages on here, but thought you might like to be made aware of this.
Kind Regards
Graham Butler - Metronet
James
Grafter

Hi Graham,
Nice to "hear" from you again.
There should be absolutely no problem in doing this and it should be quite a smooth transition.
I think someone mentioned something similar the other day.  If you raise a ticket on your Metronet account saying which product specifically that you want, we'll be able to get it sorted for you.
JonG

I would think twice before migrating. It could be a massive mistake!!!!!!! Angry
I did at the beginning of November purely because Metronet hadn't been able to do a good enough refresh of it's products but the connection and service was good!
Since Nov (2 and a bit long months) durring evening use I've not been able to keep a connection for more than 20 minutes and normally only 7-10 minutes.
Between me, plusnet and BT so far this hasn't improved one jot!
I think if Metronet could offer me  a good connection like I had before I'd be highly likely to jump back.
As it is I'm going back to plusnet for another grumble and if it's not sorted within another couple of months i'm going to jump ship totally away from the metronet/ plusnet/bt family of companies. Shame I don't have a cable option.
If only they knew the stress this causes and i don't just mean for my use but the grief I get from the other family users. Close to pulling the plug.
Hope this helps in your choice for the future
Jon
James
Grafter

Hi Jon,
I can safely say that this will have absolutely nothing to do with having moved over to PlusNet.
It's the same company, same network infrastructure, etc.
Can I ask what checks you have made at your end to eliminate the problem?
JonG

plusnet On line trouble shooter
Checked my hardware (although the problem only and immediatley arose on migration. Not hardware or software changes were made apart from my modem password and user for plusnet connection.)
Replaced my old 8meg ASUS modem for a  24meg BT Voyager 2110 (On the basis that if it works at a higher speed it must be able to work with a lower signal to noise ratio on the line.
This did make a change! Was disconnection every 10 to 20 seconds instead of the previous 10-20 minutes!!)
and Got sore fingers typing messages to the on line tech support. Had mixed response there although of late most have tried to be helpful.
They've had BT carryout various checks which say all is fine. Well!!!
Due to christmas I've had to let this go and now my issue has been closed so need to re-open this one as no change.
i beleive the next (and I assume last thing) is to get BT back on the job and get them to my door if need be.
This I've not been keen on as if they say all is fine again and it's my kit I get landed with a BT £144 bill.
Although I know my kits OK and even substiuted it would still be my word against theirs so feel at a disadvantage here.
From what I've picked up the problem is likely to be low signal to noise ratio (sorry I'm an engineer!). As my disconnections are worse late afternoon and evening when the lines do get noisier and from Metronets 1meg connection Plusnet connects around 3meg. So noise would be more of a problem. Yet BT line tests haven't picked this up?
The only thing i know for sure is I've got (politely) a poor connection!
I dislike NTL but if they had a cable going past my front door......
So that's my tale of woe
Sorry if you feel you've had your ears chewed esp. as this should be being shoved into the tech support system and not the forum. But whether a BT or Plusnet problem I wouldn't recommend anyone to change without very serious thoughts of what they maybe moving too.
Jon
zubel
Community Veteran

JonG - I can echo Jameseh's comments about this being unlikely to do with the move per se.  However, did you at the same time of the move request an account upgrade. or an account-type change.  I'm thinking that you may have been switched onto the "Up to 8MB" Rate adaptive as part of the move and this *might* be causing problems.
Other than that, broadband speed faults how to diagnose is a really good reference for diagnosing broadband faults.  If you have a read of that and see if there are some steps that you could do then it becomes more likely that we can diagnose the problem.
If it is physical disconnections that are occurring, then the cause will be between your computer and your local telephone exchange.  This is definitely not under Plusnets control and will often be a line fault, or a CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) problem.
By far and away the best test is to plug your router or modem into the BT test socket and see if the disconnections still occur.  I appreciate that this is often problematic due to the master socket being located far from where the computer often resides.  However, this is pretty much the perfect test to exclude any local equipment, and therefore avoid the £141 "No fault found" fee from BT.
It's worth persevering with Plusnet - out of all the ISP's I have had contact with, their support team is probably the best I have come across.  If you moved to another provider using your telephone line (and not cable) then I suspect the problem would move with you. 
Hope that helps, and I'm more than happy to assist you in solving this problem - I know how annoyed I would be with a barely functional connection!
B.
Edit:  Fixed spelling of defuhnately for Gloria.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd sya it's well worth raising another fault. You've tested 2 sets of hardware from the master socket so that's BTs charges ruled out - we can dispute them if we know testing has been done. If you reraise the intermittent issue via http://faults.plus.net and let me know it's done I'll pick it up and pass it on for you.
Hope that helps,