cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer from TalkTalk to Plusnet - a total disaster!

Fairfolds

Transfer from TalkTalk to Plusnet - a total disaster!

Yes. Today's the transfer day. TalkTalk cut us off very early a.m. But Plusnet still not activated late afternoon.

No WiFi, no Ring doorbells, no CCTV, no Alexa, no CH, no Netflix, no Amazon, no Firesticks, no iPlayer, no laptop, no desktop, no Yale security, no smart plugs.

Rang the helpline a.m. to check & expedite progress. Sometime today, said [CSA Removed]. You'll get 2 emails to confirm connection. Don't plug anything in until then.

Noon … nothing. 3 p.m. nothing. 4 p.m. nothing. 5 p.m. nothing. Still nothing ...

So clearly new transfer users are not prioritised. Even if it works tomorrow or this week every single device still has to be reset, connected and tested.

Be warned: changing ISPs is now a perilous and time consuming project. If your home relies on smart connections you must accept being completely down and vulnerable for a few days.

Trust me, a smart home without connectivity is worse than a dumb home with neanderthal wires, switches and buttons.

So apologies, being wise after the event is just sad. Surely ISPs these days should make an ISP transfer rewarding, transparent and stressless?

The opposite is true. Sorry Plusnet - it's just not worth it. Huge loss, zero gain.

And still no Plusnet service...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.
2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Transfer from TalkTalk to Plusnet - a total disaster!

@Fairfolds Welcome to the forums. You should have been advised that the full transfer would complete by the end of the day of activation i.e. 12 midnight - unfortunately, the PN systems for some reason do not work like most ISP transfers - where you may suffer maybe a couple of hours downtime - if that.

Also note the emails don't always arrive - the best thing to do is wait until tomorrow morning, and post back if things aren't working then.

John
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Transfer from TalkTalk to Plusnet - a total disaster!

@Fairfolds wrote:

Yes. Today's the transfer day. TalkTalk cut us off very early a.m. But Plusnet still not activated late afternoon.

No WiFi, no Ring doorbells, no CCTV, no Alexa, no CH, no Netflix, no Amazon, no Firesticks, no iPlayer, no laptop, no desktop, no Yale security, no smart plugs.

So clearly new transfer users are not prioritised. Even if it works tomorrow or this week every single device still has to be reset, connected and tested.

Be warned: changing ISPs is now a perilous and time consuming project. If your home relies on smart connections you must accept being completely down and vulnerable for a few days.

Trust me, a smart home without connectivity is worse than a dumb home with neanderthal wires, switches and buttons.

So apologies, being wise after the event is just sad. Surely ISPs these days should make an ISP transfer rewarding, transparent and stressless?

Hopefully you're all up and running now. But No, changing ISP doesn't need drama etc thrown in the mix.

I found changing ISP 14 months ago very easy - I didn't even have to contact Plusnet - who I was leaving. Change over happened at 2am in the morning with 10mins loss of service between the two ISP (so I found out later). I got up at 5am, found internet not working, disconnected my old modem, connected new ISP supplied combined modem/router, plugged in my existing router via LAN to it and it all just worked. By re-using my existing router nothing needed to be changed as everything just got remapped. Months on, most gadgets (we have 28 items) had been transferred over to the new setup.

With my recent FTTP changeover it was even easier but once again as a quick setup, all i did was plug my existing router into the new one. Over the last few weeks I've been slowly transferring stuff over as required - the existing router is going upstairs on the end of an ethernet cable. Got printers, TV boxes, mobiles, laptops, desktops etc, But they have all been accessible all the time with no real downtime at all. Measured in minutes really.

Smart homes though 🤔, Alexa, Rings etc, sorry i don't do them. Hands on is far easier. 😀 Good luck on your new adventure. I'm certain you'll get there.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?