cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trafic Shaping has rendered by BB unusable.

andyhickling
Dabbler

Trafic Shaping has rendered by BB unusable.

I'm currently on Broadband Your Way Option 2 from one of the older tariffs with a 15gb peak time usage allowance. I've used 4gb overall.
I leave the house at 8am and arrive home at 7pm. In an evening I can't browse the net on my iPhone. Now I know I can't expect the speeds I get on my laptop but it won't even connect. I disable wifi and connect vis GPRS which at least works. Around 10pm to 11pm my connection springs to life. All through the night it's fine. On a morning before I leave for work it's fine. Before with my N95 I didn't use the net as much so never really noticed it as badly. And indeed If I use an app it's not as bad as loading a whole web page.
I'm not sure why I'm paying for a service that I can't use though. I can only get ADSL Max (BT line speeds says 3-4mb.) from my exchange and I use a Netgear DG834PN.
28 REPLIES 28
sweet00
Dabbler

Re: Trafic Shaping has rendered by BB unusable.

bt have a phone line booster for internet, it might be worth a try i dont know how much they are but you should be able to find out about them easily enough.
andyhickling
Dabbler

I removed the bell wire about a year ago and it's not that. The connection is fine through the night and slows down during peak times.
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
What makes you think that it's traffic shaping that is rendering your iPhone browsing slow?
I suspect that if that were the case, every iPhone user would complain, not just one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@andyhickling: I'm not clear from your post if the problem is the PN connection or the wireless connection to the router; if it was the PN connection I wouldn't expect the iPhone to fail to connect, just once it had connected it would be slow.
Have you checked what it's like if you try a wired connection (either from the laptop or another PC)? If that works OK I'd suggest you have some sort of local interference upsetting the wireless (something that gets turned off between 10 and 11). First move would be to try setting the router to different channels to see if that works better.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The WiFi is very susceptible to interference on that router - e.g microwave / bluetooth etc so could there be anything causing that kind of interference?
I have one of those routers (and dislike it a lot) and it took me a while work out what was screwing my wi-fi connection.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
godsell4
Rising Star

Do you also have a bluetooth headset connected to the iphone?
The 3G is know to have problems with Bluetooth and Wifi enabled, the 3GS is bettert, but not great.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
andyhickling
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Andy,
What makes you think that it's traffic shaping that is rendering your iPhone browsing slow?
I suspect that if that were the case, every iPhone user would complain, not just one.

The speed at non peak times? It's fine at work, fine through the night. Just unbelievable in the evening.
andyhickling
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
@andyhickling: I'm not clear from your post if the problem is the PN connection or the wireless connection to the router; if it was the PN connection I wouldn't expect the iPhone to fail to connect, just once it had connected it would be slow.
Have you checked what it's like if you try a wired connection (either from the laptop or another PC)? If that works OK I'd suggest you have some sort of local interference upsetting the wireless (something that gets turned off between 10 and 11). First move would be to try setting the router to different channels to see if that works better.

The laptop is quicker when connected but it's still poor. I'm guessing the iPhone hardware hasn't got the same grunt however and connects slower. Could only be really the TV downstairs. I'll turn the house off as per night tonight and check it's performance.
andyhickling
Dabbler

Quote from: adiewoo
The WiFi is very susceptible to interference on that router - e.g microwave / bluetooth etc so could there be anything causing that kind of interference?
I have one of those routers (and dislike it a lot) and it took me a while work out what was screwing my wi-fi connection.

Only seems to have happened recently... I'll test with everything off.
andyhickling
Dabbler

Quote from: godsell4

Do you also have a bluetooth headset connected to the iphone?
The 3G is know to have problems with Bluetooth and Wifi enabled, the 3GS is bettert, but not great.

Never have BT on and it's the 3GS. Only other explanation other than throttling is interference I guess.
andyhickling
Dabbler

With regards to channels, I have mine on auto 108 (?) but using inSSIDer it's on channel 11 and has a good signal. I've changed my neighbours to Ch1 which is the next strongest signal. There is another weak signal on ch6 however.
James
Grafter

I still don't think it's traffic management related.
The browsing on the iPhone will be treated as web which is prioritised on our network.
Any other iPhone users out there?
andyhickling
Dabbler

Does Mobile Safari use an obscure port?
When the connection is fast it does report (through the SpeedTest.net app) about half the speed of my laptop does.
Best test I guess is to wait until it's slow and turn everything off but my router.... will consider moving it if that's the case. Signal is strong however.
James
Grafter

I wouldn't have thought so to be honest!
Like I said earlier - I'd have expected others to notice as it's the default browser on the 3G and 3GS.