cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management issues

Justin7
Grafter

Traffic management issues

I have noticed for a while that certain traffic from the ps4 is identified as other, p2p and web browsing as well as gaming. When my usage stats reset at the beginning of the month I only used ps4 for a day to check what was causing the incorrect stats.
Using the ps4 for playing games and downloading a few updates resulted in traffic for p2p, browsing and other and less so for gaming.
Now I don't mind things being miscounted but if this indicates traffic is not bring prioritised correctly could this mean gaming traffic from the ps4 is not being identified correctly and might be seen as bronze / low priority across plusnets network?
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Traffic management issues

Hi, I'll double check this with Dave but I'm fairly certain that updates aren't classed as gaming traffic, and also wouldn't be surprised if Sony used some kind of p2p protocol for these to save on server bandwidth. It may also be that some updates come from servers via http, which would explain both of those. The actual in game traffic should be fine though and will be picked up as gaming traffic.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
There were a couple of games where the gaming traffic was going in Other that we spotted a couple of weeks ago, that should've been fixed this afternoon.
Game updates, patches and software downloads should all go in Web.
I've not seen any P2P traffic on our PS4 yet, were you playing any particular games?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Justin7
Grafter

Hi Dave and Matt,
Thanks for your quick responses. I am glad to hear that the actual gaming traffic should be being identified properly. I can understand the updates and patches are a lower priority than the game traffic, I was a bit concerned when I saw my stats so I thought I'd post here to check.
Not much of the gaming showing up as p2p to be fair, but quite a bit seemed to be going into other (browsing too but I now realise that was probably updates).  I have spotted this last month and then checked specifically around the weekend around the 18th jan.
The games we have been playing lately are Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, Killzone and Need for Speed. Have these PS4 games been tested across the traffic management systems?
I hope this helps.
Thanks again.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We have BF4 here ready to test, the manufacturers of the platform we use have tested Ghosts, not sure about NFS but we have tested Killzone and Fifa.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Testing BF4 now (and also downloading War Thunder). The War Thunder download and and BF4 patch are correctly being identified as Playstation downloads and going in to Web. The BF4 game was being correctly identified as Battlefield 4 and going in to Gaming.
I'll try DC Universe Online too later (might be early next week though as it looks like a big download and we don't have fibre in the building).
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was going to suggest moving to the Leeds Office but then I checked
Sorry, fibre optic BT Infinity isn't currently available at your property.
Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between January 2014 and March 2014. Please note that these dates have been provided by our supplier and are estimates. Dates may be subject to change due to factors outside our control such as; delays agreeing cabinet locations with your local council or unforeseen issues encountered during the construction of your street cabinet.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for the help!
I'm looking forward to "testing" BF4 this weekend!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

DC Universe is fine too and goes in gaming, doesn't look like it was as big a download as I thought.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology