cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management and legacy Unlimited

Mav
Fixes: 515

Traffic management and legacy Unlimited

I've found the recent links given by Oldim & jelv regarding traffic management very informative, thanks for that.
I'm assuming that the same level of management applies to the legacy unlimited notwithstanding the speed restrictions placed at peak times.
According to this page streaming is classed as Gold. My assumption, again, is that Skype/Yahoo uses streaming when in video call.
What we have noticed is that if I'm downloading using JDownloader (which, by the above page, looks to be either Silver or Bronze but I may be wrong) SWMBO complains that the video stream is slow and breaks up. I have to manually reduce the maximum bandwidth in JDownloader - even then she still complains of occasional problems so I frequently just stop my downloads till she's finished.
A couple of questions.
1. Have I made correct assumptions above?
2. With only less than 5M to play with should the traffic management be doing a better job or is our experience indicative of the problems we are experiencing with our line?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Traffic management and legacy Unlimited

Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks for the link, Jim.
So what is JDownloader classed as? I was thinking it must be P2P equivalent?
I forgot to mention as well that when using JD even browsing can slow down considerably.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have no idea - why don't you run Wireshark and find out
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

IIRC there's a problem with identifying Skype traffic in that a lot of it is peer to peer based, which makes it very hard to identify correctly. I'll double check with Dave when he's back at his desk in case that's changed, but that could be why it's getting interrupted.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd suggest you Wireshark the Skype traffic and check which queue it is in.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

JDownloader appears to be a download manager.
All it says about download managers is "Downloads using download accelerators are also managed." on the list of download sites and servers page, but it doesn't say exactly what category it falls in. It might not be managed, or the download manager could just send a false HTTP user agent, and then it would fall under web browsing, or depend on where you are downloading from.