cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Spikes/Throttling from Plusnet cache servers

paolow
Grafter

Traffic Spikes/Throttling from Plusnet cache servers

I'm wondering if anyone can help with an issue I'm having. Whenever I receive data from plusnet cache servers the traffic spikes and then throttles back. Is this normal and can someone explain why or if not can you help?
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Traffic Spikes/Throttling from Plusnet cache servers

Quote from: paolow
Whenever I receive data from plusnet cache servers the traffic spikes and then throttles back.

Don't know what you mean by plusnet cache servers.
But I have often found speed tests or network monitoring software to show a initial speed spike before settling down to the expected transfer speed. That's been the same with a number of ISP's and numerous different computers and versions of windows.
I have read a explanation of why you see this but sorry I can't remember the details now -- I'm sure google can find a explanation.
paolow
Grafter

The cache servers are like proxy servers that store web pages for quicker access. Anything downloaded from these servers starts of fast and then grinds to a crawl. I'm on plusnet unlimited adsl and play Battlefield 4. Battlefield 4 uses "battlelog" which is a webpage used to join servers. This web page has cached content that sits on plusnet cached servers and creates lag spikes when the data is downloaded from there as if the connection is being throttled.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Are you referring to CDN servers ?
paolow
Grafter

Yes
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there.
There's no issues that we're aware of.
Is this happening all the time or at specific times of the day?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
paolow
Grafter

It seems to be the majority of the time. I'm downloading NVidia drivers as we speak via the plusnet Akamai servers and my max speed is 2.5 mbps on a 15mbps line.
LukeS
Grafter

Hi there,
Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?
You're actually in sync at 19Mb but there appears to have been quite a few errors on your downstream recently. There has been 3/4 drops is connection per day as well but this could have been you rebooting the router. I think it would be worth increasing the SNR to 9Db to see if we can eradicate the errors. The DLM for your connection appears to be slightly broken anyway.