cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Priority

faulknerm88
Grafter

Traffic Priority

My understanding is that the Pro addon prioritises certain types of traffic, one of which being streaming - am I correct?
Not sure whether I'm misunderstanding somewhere, but it seems that p2p traffic takes priority over streaming on my connection. I was streaming using iplayer last night with no issues, until my partner turned her PC on and began some p2p downloading - at which point my streaming stopped, spent 3 mins buffering before playing 20 seconds of video, then continued in this vein.
Even with 'surf' enabled, p2p traffic seems to be getting priority...

Any suggestions (apart from taking the plug off her pc until my programme has finished?) Tongue

Thanks,
Marc
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Traffic Priority

The Pro add-on prioritises ALL traffic including P2P (that's the point of the Pro add-on) so I'm not surprised her P2P causes issues with your streaming.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
faulknerm88
Grafter

Hmm, I was looking at the usergroup site - http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
Looking at Extra Pro, it seems to show that everything will be at line speed, but that certain services are given priority - although you're correct, looking again streaming isn't showing as prioritised.
Guess I should look at implementing my own QoS, time to look for a new router perhaps? 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi faulknerm88,
As well as jelv's comment you also have to appreciate that Peer-to-peer will swamp the bandwidth, not only on the download but the upload as well. That's one of the reasons we traffic manage other packages to allow time sensitive protocols to function without being interrupted by more bandwidth consuming ones, such as P2P.
Jojo Smiley