cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Prioritisation

sihaworth
Dabbler

Traffic Prioritisation

I've recently moved from a Fibre product to an ADSL one but have got average speeds of 18-20mb due to our close proximity to the exchange.
Last night whilst watching a film on Now TV, a download was started by someone else in the house via a torrent. It was immediately obvious as the quality dropped markedly (probably lower than 480p) and then started buffering, to the point where I just turned it off.
I thought Plusnet implemented traffic prioritisation within a household to ensure things like this don't happen? Is there something I need to configure within the router settings?
6 REPLIES 6
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Traffic Prioritisation

Just checked your account out.  I think what's happening here is that you are maxing your upload speeds with the P2P.  This is drowning out any upstream communication from your computer to the streaming servers
First thing we can do is uncap your upstream which Dave will do (unless you want to keep it capped).  Next thing will be to limit the upstream speed of the P2P torrent to ~300Kbps (or 800Kbps after we uncap you) I reckon it should work.
Does that make sense?
(corrected typo)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Tradfic prioritisation was working fine for us a couple of nights ago (on ADSL2 Unlimited 9Mbps sync). An FTP download was started alongside an iPlayer stream; the FTP download on its own maxed out the connection. However the iPlayer spikes were inversely mirrored in the FTP so that iPlayer continued playing as normal.
Last night we had iPlayer HD (wired connection), an iPlayer SD program and a Youtube video (both wireless to different devices) all running simultaneously, no buffering at all.
In these cases upstream (uncapped) was well clear of being maxed out
David
sihaworth
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Just checked your account out.  I think what's happening here is that you are maxing your upload speeds with the P2P.  This is drowning our any upstream communication from your computer to the streaming servers
First thing we can do is uncap your upstream which Dave will do (unless you want to keep it capped).  Next thing will be to limit the upstream speed of the P2P torrent to ~300Kbps (or 800Kbps after we uncap you) I reckon it should work.
Does that make sense?

That'd be great thank you. When should I check to see if there's any difference?
Kelly
Hero

Dave has placed the order now.  Should be complete sometime on Monday.  If you set your upstream max on the torrent client to 300Kbps (37.5 KBps) and start a torrent and a stream, you should see it working fine.
Kelly Dorset
sihaworth
Dabbler

What about things like Bitcasa when that's uploading - or is that slightly different as it won't be maxing out the upstream?
dick:quote
Kelly
Hero

It looks like Bitcasa are working on adding it:
http://feedback.bitcasa.com/forums/184524-bitcasa-feature-requests-suggestions/suggestions/3920409-b...
Allen Lai (Director, Technical Support, Bitcasa) commented  ·  August 19, 2013 6:59 pm  ·  Flag as inappropriate
While we work to implement our own bandwidth control, check out this work around using NetBalancer (Windows): https://support.bitcasa.com/entries/25359296
We're working on a similar article for NetLimiter (Windows).
Here are the instructions for NetLimiter: https://support.bitcasa.com/entries/25388526.

Kelly Dorset